Chapter 31

The man, whos name was Nicolas, told Halt everything he knew about the colt. They have not been around hear for long. They started kidnapping people about a week ago. No one knew who was taking people, at first no one knew people were being taken. One person would vanish a day. Halt then asked when they started noticing that people were being kidnapped by a colt. Nicolas told him that one man had escaped their grasp and told the village what had happened.

"Can I speak to this man?" Halt asked. Nicolas shook his head.

"No, the night after he escaped he was kidnapped again, this time he was not so lucky." Nicolas said. Halt nodded his head in understanding. So they didn't want any survivors, they wanted to stay as much a secret as possible.

"How many victim have there been?" Halt asked.

"Five." Nicolas said. Halt saw that Nicolas was acting very edgy. Halt then realizing what Nicolas had said about the man, who had escaped.

"Your afraid they'll come after your daughter again." Halt said. Nicolas nodded his head.

"Please, will you help me? I don't know what I would do if I lost my daughter." Nicolas said, tears in his eyes. Halt then thought about his own daughter back home. He thought about how he could not bare to loose his daughter. Halt was not going to let anything happen to this mans daughter.

"Yes, yes I'll help you." Halt said. Nicolas looked up at him.

"Thank you, thank you so much." Nicolas said. Halt nodded.

"We must keep watch over your daughter, she is not to leave our sight." Halt said. Nicolas nodded.

"What are we going to do if they do attack?" Nicolas asked.

"I have a friend not to far from hear. I will ride and get his help. I should only be gone for two hours." Halt said. Nicolas nodded.

"I will wait for you to return." Nicolas said as Halt walked out of his house and got on Abelard. Halt nodded to the man as he rode off to go get Crawly's help.