Chapter 16

16

Chris had no idea what to expect on Tuesday. She had tried her hardest to tell herself that she wasn't putting on any extra makeup or perfume, that she wasn't paying very close attention to what she was wearing.

But subconsciously she had picked one of her sexiest work appropriate ensembles, a black pencil skirt that came just to her knee, and a royal blue button-up short sleeved dress shirt. The combination of the pencil skirt and her heels made her average legs look killer and the blue button-up was form fitting and showed just the right amount of cleavage at the right moment.

She even went so far as to check herself in the mirror multiple times on her way into work. She popped in a piece of gum in the elevator too.

"Morning," Jocelyn said as the doors opened and she emerged.

"Hey Joc," she said trying to sound as casual as possible.

"You look nice today," she said smiling.

"Thanks, so do you."

She kept walking to her office and her heart was pounding hard. When she turned to go into her office she knew why, she must have sensed somehow that Jeremy was close.

He was standing behind her desk looking ridiculously handsome in gray dress pants, a white long sleeved dress shirt and a black sleeveless sweater. She usually thought sweater-vest types were for old men but he looked damn good. So good in fact she felt like she couldn't breath.

She stopped dead in her tracks just in front of the door and stared at him. He hadn't seen her yet so she was able to keep her focus on him, looking him up and down and enjoying ever part of what she saw.

He was scribbling something on a Post-It and looking a little flustered. It was simple adorable.

"Hey," she said, her voice sounding terribly vulnerable.

He looked up quickly and when he caught her in her sites he smiled broadly.

"Hey Chris, I was just leaving you a note."

"I see that," she said flirtatiously as she approached her desk.

He came around with the note in his hands and first looked down, then up at her.

"Um, I was wondering if you wanted to go to lunch with me again today."

"Yes," she said quickly. He beamed causing her to put her head down. Her face was warming tremendously.

"Noon?"

"Sure."

He walked out and she didn't see him again for a couple of hours.

Mr. Lake had sent her an email early on saying that he would have his office door shut for a majority of the day preparing for the board meeting but that she was welcome to come in if she needed him for anything. He'd sent her some information about the Christmas cards and gifts and had told her to start working on that.

A couple of minutes before twelve Jeremy walked back into her office.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked sitting down in one of her chairs.

She wanted somewhere fairly quiet so they could discuss a few things, she knew Paulo's had great pizza but not much traffic, it seemed perfect.