Chapter 19

19

            In her anger she'd forgotten the alarm had been set for six-thirty.  It didn't matter because she'd woken up about an hour before and had not been able to fall back asleep.

            Jeremy, the man she had thought she was falling in love with wasn't Jeremy.  He was Ryan.  Ryan Warner, whoever that was.  He had been paid to pretend to be Jeremy so Mr. Lake could trick the board into listing him as the heir to LakeAssociates.  This was all too bizarre.

            She got up lazily and made a very large pot of coffee.  While it brewed she showered.  The taste and smell only comforted her a little.

            She got to work at 8:30 without realizing she was so early.  When she crossed the street she realized she was just going through the motions, and that that would not work.  She couldn't let anyone know about last night.  She couldn't let anyone know that she'd slept with "Jeremy" and she especially couldn't let anyone know what he'd revealed to her.  She would have to put on a good face.

            She walked into the lobby and Phoebe all but tackled her.

            "Morning Christine," she said dryly.

            "Good morning Phoebe," she said with as much cheer as she could muster.

            "How was your evening?"

            "Just fine.  Yours?"

            "Fine," she said raising a perfectly plucked brow.  "I was just heading upstairs," she said as she pushed the button.

            They rode up silently.  When the doors opened Jocelyn was standing up at her desk.

            "Morning Chris."

            "Good morning Joc."

            "How was your evening?"

            "Just fine," she said unable to hide her irritation with this clearly rehearsed conversation.  "Yours?"

            "Fine," she said smoothly.

            Chris ignored the whispering that began between the Bunnies as she walked down the hall to her office.  Mr. Lake's door was open and she could see him standing over some papers that he was feverishly organizing.

            "Ms. Miller, set your stuff down and come in here," he said brusquely.

            Chris felt her heart sink.  She left her purse and jacket at her desk and carefully walked back towards his office, trying her best to remain calm.

            "Yes sir?" she said as she walked in.  To her surprise he looked up immediately.

            "Have a seat please."

            She did, but she didn't know how she made it without fainting.  He knew, he knew everything.  He knew that she'd slept with "Jeremy" and he knew that he'd told her about their little plan.  She had never thought she'd long to be a nanny again.

            "The board meeting is scheduled for today at 2:00, it will most likely last through dinner.  I don't expect you to be here of course because we could be here until eight if not later.  However, I would like for you to pick up some snacks, soda, chips, things of that nature to have in the room before the members arrive."

            "Yes sir," she said a little too frantically.

            "Also, before you leave for the day I would like for you to order in some food for us.  Please call The Rock Garden and have them deliver four platters and a large order of their seaweed salad, oh and also maybe some soup in case they want that."  He began to rub his forehead and she realized that he didn't know anything.  He had no idea.