The Walls (Part 4)

Minho

The next week, more greenies came, and so did the week after that. After about 5 weeks worth of greenies, they started only sending them in 5's. Then 5 weeks later, in pairs. After 16 weeks of being in the glade, we were 90 people strong (counting the og 5, of course, including myself). Alby figured after every round of greenies come, he would hold a meeting of all the Keepers and Leaders of the glade, and bring along the greenies too so they learn more about us. We would have them do each job in the glade for a day and after 2 weeks, assign them a job.
After about 2 months, me and Newt put 2 new runners on the team and put them each with a runner that was there before, paired them off. Obviously, me and Newt stayed paired together. But lately Newts been off. He's been seeming sad all the time. I don't know why. I made a new friend with the Keeper of the cooks, he is cool. But for a month now he's been so off. Like he has just given up.
Like for instance, one day when we were running, we decided to climb on top of the maze to get a better look. As I was looking around the maze, looking for any possible ways out, Newt was just looking back at the ground. He kept staring at it, and I was scared he would accidentally fall off. I mean, he wouldn't. Not like someone who we had to replace on the team, who we do not speak of anymore. Let's just say it wasn't an accident that he fell off the walls of the maze.
  So anyway, he has just been so down lately, and I'm not sure why. I don't like it. My heart hurts for him. He is so perfect, he doesn't deserve to be sad. I wish I could help him.
  But I don't know how.

  "Minho." Someone said from behind me as I sat by the pond one rainy day. I had put up some nice boards to block the rain so I could sit out here and contemplate my life. Right now I was thinking about Newt.
  I looked behind me and Alby emerged from the woods. "Yeah?" I say and stand up. "What's up?"
  "Have you seen Newt around, he said he would help me with something and I haven't seen him anywhere." I shake my head. I haven't seen Newt all day, actually.
  "No. I've been here most the day, actually." I say. "Did you check around Homestead? I know he likes to hang out on the roof and spy on the greenies." He shakes his head.
  "I'll go check, thanks." He says, and walks away. That's weird. I think to myself. Where is Newt?

Newt

  Spending a rainy day on top of the maze isn't that bad. I happen to actually like it. It's nice to be alone for once, just me and my thoughts, and no one to bother me.
  I spent most the day up here, no one has come to get me. I wasn't very far from The Glade, but far enough so that no one would just wander in and find me. I needed this.
  Right now, I was looking down at the maze floor. How easy it would be to just end it. I mean, wherever you go after death would be much nicer than here. I wouldn't feel that pain in my heart everyday, seeing Minho, knowing he doesn't like me back. Then going out in the maze everyday and not finding anything that will lead us to an exit.
  So now I'm planning. If I will ever do it. It would be so easy. Just one step, and it would all be over. All the pain and torture of life. But I have to end things with a few people before I do so. And I don't want to die on a day like this. That would be depressing, I thought to myself.
  Well, anyone's death is depressing.

  I sat on my hammock, laying on my back, when Minho walks up to me. "Dude, where were you yesterday?" He says.
  "Just... around. Why?"
  "Alby was looking for you. He said you promised to help him with something. But he found me yesterday before I came here and said for me not to worry anymore. Then I came here and saw you passed out. What happened?"
  I didn't want to tell him about me being in the maze. That would for sure end in a word with ether Alby or Nick. And with my luck, it would be Nick.
  "I-I was just, hanging in the trees. Then I went to the graveyard for a little while, then went back in the trees, pretty hidden. I didn't really want anyone finding me. Just needed a little time to myself. You know?"
  He nods. "Yeah, I was at the pond for the majority of the day." He says. "Anyway, are you ready to head out? The walls opened like an hour ago. I figured I pack us then come wake you."
  "Yeah, I'm ready." I say and get up. "Is it ok if I just run by myself today, I just need some space, I guess." I studies me for a second, then nods.
  "Ok, just be careful. I don't want anything happening to you." I nod. He and I start walking to the wall, him giving me my backpack filled with water and other necessity items I would need.
  We ran in, and before we went out separate ways, I stoped Minho. "I just wanted to say that you've been a great friend." I say. He just looks at me for a second.
  "Your scaring me, Newt. What's going on up there?"
  I shake my head. "Nothing! I just... wanted you to know that." He looks at me skeptically.
  "Be careful. Ok?"
  "Ok."
  Then he pulls me in for a hug, like it will be the last time we will ever hug. Because the truth is, if my plan works, it will be. We pull apart, and I stare into his eyes for the last time. Then, I turn around and run as far as my legs can carry me.

Minho

  Newt was acting strange. Too strange. We got to the maze, and he just told me I was a great friend, like it was the last time he would speak to me. That scared me. A lot.
  So I didn't spend the day running the maze. I didn't spend the day trying to convince myself that I would find an exit. I didn't spend the day tiring myself out over nothing. Instead, I spent the day running in Newts shadows, making sure he doesn't know I'm there. I spent the day watching Newt. Making sure he was alright.
  And for awhile I thought it was like that. I thought everything was fine and dandy. I thought he was alright. But after a few hours of non-stop running, he stopped finally and took a sip of water. After a 5 minute break, he put his stuff away and climbed the wall. I was confused as hell. I didn't climb, but ran a little away then climbed until my head was peaking over the wall to see what was going on.
  I saw Newt, looking down onto the maze floor. He sat down for a few minutes, and he started crying. Silently crying. My heart ached. Then, he took off his bag and placed it on the maze wall. And in a single action, before I could process what was happening, he jumped.