The Safe Haven (Final Part)

15 years after the escape

The population was growing. Babies were being born and growing up happy. People were getting married, and someone must have found out our location, because new immunes were being dropped off by berg and expected to live with us.
The town grew inside, and huts were being built. The center was made larger, alone with the conference room, and people were given last names. Something I never heard of until Jorge explained it to me. My last name was chosen to be Grimmet, and Thomas went with Edison, because he was named after Thomas Edison. Brenda was also given that name, since they are married. I wasn't too bothered by everyone else's last names.
I sat outside my hut, watching this little girl, about 5 or 6, playing in the water. She was happy, giggling and smiling. It made me happy. "Hey." Thomas said as he sat right beside me.
"Hey." I said. He began to look at the girl and a smile appeared on his lips.
His hair style has changed a bit. He let it grow out and now it was let loose down to his ears, and his bangs almost covering his eyes. Due to the sun always shining down on us, it has seemed like the color of his hair went lighter.
"I gotta tell you something." He says.
"What." I say. "Your finally going to cut your hair?" He laughs and shakes his head.
"No." He says. "Brenda's pregnant." He says that so suddenly, I almost roll over. "And I wanted to ask you if it was a boy, we could name it Newt."
I blankly stared at him for a moment, trying to digest all that he said. "I mean, yeah. That would be great." I said and looked down at my feet. Thomas puts his hand on my shoulder.
"It's ok if you don't want us to." He said. "I understand."
"No, it's fine. I just.." I sigh. "I really miss him."
"Yeah." He says. "I know. I notice."
I try hard to prevent tears from gathering in my eyes. But I couldn't hold it in. I just end up wiping my eyes of the tears.
"You should." I say after I've calmed down.
"I should what?" He asked.
"You should name him Newt."
"Oh." He says, and we both look back out at the beach as a couple is now holding the girl. Hugging her. "You wanted that with Newt, didn't you?" Thomas asked. I nodded. We stayed quiet for a little while, until Thomas got up. "I have a meeting with the committee. We are putting together a 15 year anniversary party for the day we got here."
"Cool." I say, "I guess I'll see you later."
"Yep." And he walks away.

I found myself grabbing a sandwich for dinner and walking over to Newt's grave to eat with him. I find myself here a lot now.
"Hi Newt." I say once I get there and have picked a place to sit down. "I'm back."
I wait to speak, like he would answer back. I hoped upon hopes that he would answer back. But he didn't, so I continued. "Thomas knocked up Brenda. He asked if he could use your name of it was a boy. I thought it was a great idea. He did too." I took a bite of my sandwich and chewed and swallowed.
I didn't talk for the rest of the time. I just stared blankly at his grave. I felt so lonely. I had absolutely zero friends. Only Thomas. And it was always going to be that way.
I sighed, and after finishing my sandwich I got up and left. I wen back to my hut and just laid in bed, staring at the ceiling.

About two weeks later was the party Thomas was talking about. It was held in the center, and everyone was there.
I stood in the corner, talking to Jorge about the new leader (his name was Vex). Jorge was telling me that Thomas was thinking about running for next year. I agreed that he should.
"I heard my name." Thomas said, suddenly appearing in front of us. "What are you guys talking about?"
"Nothing." Jorge said. "Just trying to gather support for your campaign."
"I'm going to say this once again, I'm not running for Leader. Minho, don't try me." I laughed and he shook his head.
"I'm going to check on Brenda. Enjoy the party guys." Jorge said and walked away.
"How is she." I said after Jorge left.
"Huh?" Thomas asked.
"How is she? Brenda."
"Oh yeah, she's good. Been really excited about the whole baby thing."
"Yeah. She should be. That's some pretty exciting stuff."
"Yeah. I'm exited too. For the baby, and the future of this place. For a world where my kids won't have to fear anyone taking them away to do experiments on them." I smiled.
"Yeah. It will be a new world."
"A completely different one."
There was a pause in the conversation, nether one of us knowing what to say to the other. Then Thomas gets pulled away by someone, and I'm left alone.

A/N: So, this is the final part before the epilogue, and I just want to once again update you guys on what has been happening with me, along with what is going to happen with new fanfic/original story ideas for the future.

  For one thing, I got a new computer that I'm actually gonna utilize (I had a really old dell desktop, now I got a used 2015 MacBook Air that is so much better than the desktop, even though it's used). I'm gonna start updating from this laptop now instead of my phone, so I can clear some space on my notes for important stuff (like music and stuff). You, my avid readers, will not see a difference, but I certainly will.

  Second, I am going to once again update y'all on new stories for the future after this fanfic is over. I might take a little break from uploading, just so I can write the rest of The Trials, and possibly start writing some other stuff.

  Anyway, I thank you all for reading this, though ill write more thank-you's next week, I just want to thank you all for voting and reading once again. You guys are the reason I keep uploading to this site. See you next week for the finale.

-That_Beaver