Chapter 4

Xander stares at me with his mouth open

Xander stares at me with his mouth open. I think that he is in shock. Heck, I'm in shock too. Bryce is just sitting in the chair ACTUALLY looking at me for once.

"Would you both quit staring at me and say something." I whisper. I don't want to wake up the parental units.

Xander looks at Bryce. Bryce looks at Xander. Xander looks back at me with a big grin on his face. Bryce looks at me with a blank expression. But, hey, he is still acknowledging my existence....somewhat. I'll have to work on acknowledging his existence, as well, if this whole charade is going to work out well.

"I can't believe that you actually agreed to do it." Xander says, with that big stupid grin still on his face.

"I could still back out you know. Don't test me." I walk over and sit next to my brother on his bed.

He puts his hands up in the air in surrender. "He needs to leave as soon as possible." He informs me, seriously.

I look over at Bryce to find him still looking at me. It feels weird to be looking at him directly and for him to be looking back at me. We never do this....

I sigh and keep my eyes fixed on Bryce. "Can you be ready in about two hours or less?" I ask him.

He nods yes.

I guess that can be considered talking to me....but not REALLY talking to me. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. We might end up communicating with head nods this whole entire trip.

How lovely.

Who cares?

Not me.

It might actually be better that way. I'm not so sure I really want to know what he has to say. There is no telling what is going on in that bad boy mind of his.

I get up from the bed. I can feel two pairs of eyes on me, watching my every move, like I'm a snake that is about to pounce at any given moment.

I stand by the door, and look at them. "Great. I'll be packing my bags. Meet me in the driveway by my car at about 8."

Bryce nods at me.

Xander winks at me.

I'm about to walk out the door, but then a thought hits me.

"Who is going to be paying for this road trip, by the way? Bryce said that he couldn't afford a plane ticket. " I ask.

"I gave Bryce some money to help out. He will have a place to stay once he gets where he needs to go....plus, he has some money of his own. " He sighs. "He isn't unemployed, Olivia. You know he works at the same shipyard that I work at."

"And I guess he has way more vacation time to use than you do." I point out.

"I'm not very wise when it comes to taking time off. Plus, Bryce has a good reason." He informs me.

"And what might that reason be?" I question.

Xander shakes his head at me. "Nice try, nosey posey."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. It doesn't matter to me. I just want to go to California. Plus, I may or may not have been saving a lot of money over the past few years." I wink at him.

I have over $10,000 in my savings account.

Xander shakes his head at me. Bryce is casually scrolling on his phone.

"Be there at eight." I say, not looking at Bryce or Xander, and I walk out of the room without another word.

Let the games begin.