Chapter 24

2 Months Later

    A lot has happened in the past two months. For starters, I quit my job at the Perfumania. I now take care of Sebastian while Bryce goes to work at the shipyard. I don't even really know how to explain how this happened, but it just did....The day right before I was supposed to go back to work, Bryce got off work and came to our house to pick up Sebastian....

*Flashback to that day*

Bryce looks very tired. He is here to pick up Sebastian.

"He is sleeping in the bassinet in the living room." I whisper to him as he walks through our front door.

"Take care of him for me." He says.

I furrow my eyebrows. "I already am..." I trail off. I'm confused.

He sighs, heavily, and grabs both of my hands. We are looking directly at each-other.

"Take care of him from now on while I'm at work. I'll pay you."

My mouth falls open. "Did you just say what I think that you said?"

"Yes, I did, Olivia." He squeezes my hands in his.

"I don't know, Bryce. I've worked at Perfumania for a really long time..." I look into his gorgeous brown eyes. I don't know what to say.

"Does it make you happy?" He asks me, standing closer to me, his hands still in mine. I look down at our hands. Skin against skin. Warmth against warmth. I gulp.

"Where is Xander? I don't want him to walk in here and see you holding my hands. He would get the wrong idea." I blurt out. I immediately regret letting those words escape out of my mouth.

Bryce flinches a little at my words, but he doesn't let go of my hands he just grips them harder.

"Olivia, you aren't happy at your job. I used to watch you sometimes when you were at work...." He starts rubbing circles in my hand with his thumb. "And I watch you now....it makes you happy taking care of Sebastian." His eyes don't leave mine.

"I love babies." I state. "But why would you want me, of all people, to take care of your child?" I ask.

"I trust you, Olivia." He tells me with no doubt in his voice whatsoever.

"Can you please let go of my hands. Xander could walk in any minute. "

"I like holding your hands."

My eyes go wide. "You can't just say that to your best friends sister." I whisper yell.

He looks at me, seriously. "Why not?"

"Because it implies that you like me." I hiss.

"I do like you. We have grown close, Olivia, whether you want to admit or not. You and Xander mean so much to me."

So, he likes me in a friendly way?

"I like you too." I admit.

Why do I feel so vulnerable right now?

"Then take care of him for me." He whispers.

"Okay." I whisper back. I begin to run circles on his hand just like he was doing to mine.

*End of Flashback*

   I watch Sebastian Monday through Friday while Bryce is at work. When Bryce gets off he comes here to pick up Sebastian, but he usually stays and eats dinner before he leaves. I never would have expected to get this close with the boy that I had always hated....but now he has this big place in my life and in my heart.