Chapter 14

Ugh. What is that bright light trying to force me to wake up? I open my eyes. Oh, it's the sun. I look over and I see Bryce still driving. I am relieved to see that we are both still very much alive. When I see the time, my mouth falls open. It's 4:00 p.m.!!

"Dude!!! I can't believe I slept that long!" I exclaim.

Bryce looks over at me with a big grin and he laughs. "You were, obviously, very tired."

"I have to pee." I announce. Of course, I have to. I've been sleeping for centuries.

Bryce just continues to laugh at me.

"Bring me to a toilet, please." I beg.

"Yes ma'am." He salutes me.

He takes the nearest exit and pulls into a shady looking Chevron, but it will do.

"Thank you, kind sir." I lean over and give him a quick kiss on the cheek. He freezes underneath my touch. What in the world is wrong with you, Olivia? I have no idea why I just did that. It was like I wasn't even controlling my own body. I blush and run out of the car to go use the restroom. I'm still half asleep. Therefore, I really didn't have full control over my body when I did that. Plus, I'm really thankful that he drove for me and that I got to get some rest...Yeah, that's totally it.

When I get back to my car, Bryce is just sitting there waiting. He looks like he is in deep thought.

"Don't you have to use it?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

"Nah, I've stopped a few times while you were sleeping."

My eyes widen.

He notices.

"Don't worry. I locked the doors when I left you in the car." He chuckles. "And I didn't leave you alone in the car for too long. " He adds.

We are still parked in the parking lot of the shady gas station.

"Do you want me to take over now?" I ask.

He looks like he is debating in his head. "Yeah, I think I'll take you up on that. I'll rest some in case you need me to drive again. " He says.

"That sounds like a good plan." I get out of the car and so does he. We switch places.

As soon as we are both back in the car, I bring us back on the road again. We should make it to Los Angeles some time tonight. I'm not going to stop until we do. If I would have let Bryce drive before, we would have probably been there already.

"Thank you so much for driving." I tell him, sincerely.

"It was no problem at all." He pauses for a moment. "Thank you for doing this for me."

"I did it for my brother, but you are welcome."

"I don't care who you did it for, I'm just glad that you did it."

Our eyes meet.

I look away first.

"I'm glad that I did it too." I tell him, honestly.

Our eyes meet again.

This time he looks away first.

"What are your plans when we get to Los Angeles?" He asks, randomly.

"I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what you are doing...?" I let that linger in the air for a moment.

"I would prefer if you weren't around while I....." He pauses. "While I am doing what I need to do." He pushes his hand through his hair. If I wasn't mistaken, he seems to be on edge and sort of nervous? That's weird.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Okay....I guess I'll just explore on my own."

That's kind of what I planned on doing anyways, to be honest.

Then a thought hits me, "Where will you be staying?" I ask.

"I was just going to get a motel room for a while until I figure some things out...." He says, sounding unsure about it.

"Oh....I guess I'll get a motel by myself then once we get there and let you do your own thing. I have money." I tell him.

He nods. "Yeah, I think that would be best."

"How long do you need to stay?" I ask him.

"I'm not sure." He says.

"Well, tomorrow marks my fourth day of my vacation. I will have to leave in enough time to make it back to work. "

He nods again. "I know. I don't know when I will be coming back, but if you have to leave before me, that's fine. I understand."

"But how will you get around town? You don't have a car?" I ask.

"I'm not here to explore. I plan on getting a motel room near where I need to be." He states.

"Okay. " I say, after a long pause.

After a while, he leans back in his seat and dozes off. I'm stuck with my thoughts.

 I'm stuck with my thoughts