Chapter 19

"Are you the father?" The nurse looks up at Bryce. Bryce just nods his head yes in reply.
"Do you want to hold him?" The nurse asks Bryce, with a friendly smile on her face. The baby is sleeping in her arms. Bryce glances over at me. I grin at him, encouraging him to hold his son for the very first time. This is a moment that he will cherish forever. And I'm glad that I got to be here for it. He looks back at the nurse. "Yes, I would love to hold him." He tells her. She hands the baby boy over to him, carefully.

I look over at Gabriella laying in the hospital bed. She really is completely out of it. I hope that she is okay....Gabriella's mother has walked away from us. We are standing near the door. Bryce holding the baby. The nurse just walked out. I'm standing about a foot away from Bryce. Her mother has gone to sit on the couch...and she is looking at her cell phone. She isn't even looking at Bryce and her new grandson. That's a little bit odd, but I decide to shrug it off...

"I have to go to work." She announces, suddenly. She grabs her purse, and gets up from the couch.

Bryce is holding his son with a sweet smile on his face that makes my heart want to melt.

"Okay...." Bryce says, not looking up from his son.

"I think it would be best if you two leave while I'm not here." She demands.

Bryce stiffens. He doesn't say anything for a moment, but then he sighs, heavily, and says, "If you think that's best. We will leave."

"Good." She says, giving us both a sickly sweet smile that is the farthest thing from sweet that I have ever seen.

While still holding the baby, Bryce peeks out the door, and calls for the nurse.

"We all have to leave." He tells her. She nods, and automatically takes the baby from him.

"Don't worry. We will take good care of him." She smiles. She seems like such a nice nurse. She exits the room with the baby.

Gabriella's mother walks over to her daughter and gives her a kiss on the cheek. Then she looks over at us and eyes us up and down.

"You can leave now." She narrows her eyes at us, as if in disgust.

Bryce is just standing there looking pissed. I act on instinct and I grab his hand in mine. He looks at me and I look at him and mouth to him, "Come on." He gulps and I drag him out of the room, with his large warm hand in mine. We walk out of the hospital with our hands still attached. I don't let go of his hand until we get to my car. Our ride back to the motel is silent, but sometimes we need silence to be able to let our minds sink in everything that is going on around us.

 Our ride back to the motel is silent, but sometimes we need silence to be able to let our minds sink in everything that is going on around us