『Chapter 4 | Weakness』

5.22.18  

1307 words

『Chapter 4 | Weakness』

 "Thanatophobia?" Shanks wondered with his head tilted to the side and fingers brushing his scruffy beard.

 "The fear of uhh... death." Benn tried his best to explain the complicated word as simple as it can be. "More specifically, the fear of dying or losing someone—or the fear of having the idea of losing someone." He explained a bit slower for his captain to understand.

 "Ah, that. Right." His captain nodded.

 "Geez." The first mate sighed and muttered, "Not a single word got through you, huh?"

 As they speak, the one they're talking about got her body resting in the sick bay. She passed out a while ago and isn't showing any signs of waking up any time soon. She's far too depressed to handle her everyday nightmare and it finally got to her when Shanks provoked her.

 Indeed, she have thanatophobia.

 Even just a little thought of losing someone important makes her dizzy and nauseous. If she just can't take it, she'll break and collapse. Ever since she lost Sabo, she feared for her remaining brothers' safety, resulting for her long-kept anxiety.

 She stayed strong for far too long just to reassure Ace and Luffy, to tell them there's nothing wrong, when there really is. She kept on her cheerful, precious smile just to hide her true feelings. Yes, her brothers were hurt from Sabo's death, but she's far more destroyed than anyone else.

 She's been with him for as long as she can remember, then Ace came, then Luffy, before the tragedy. She watched the two grow clueless about her true feelings but she's happy when they're happy. She's too obsessed to make them feel protected and needed when she really needed to be understood.

 Sabo promised to set sail with her, but that never happened. She knew that apologies followed promises, but it seems like she won't hear that too. She wanted to smack herself for arguing with him before he left. Even she can't say a single apology to his face.

 Mistakes were made, and she felt like it's all her fault.

 She took all the burden and shouldered them herself for seven straight years, only to be discovered by a Yonko's crew.

 Her weakness emerged. She possibly can't face it without panic attacks and agitations. She tried to hide from it, but now it's been recovered, she can't run away from it.