『 Chapter 36 | Peace 』

-art by yours truly

-art by yours truly

chapter warning: wano spoilers

07.24.19

3000 words

『 Chapter 36 | Peace 』

 Everyone stared solemnly at the towering tombs in front of them. Holding up a funeral was futile as both of Sayua's and Whitebeards body were too roughed up to be shown to anyone else, and the least thing they could do is bury them in their final resting place.

 Whitebeard's tomb towered over Sayua's. Both are grand and both showed each of their signatures—their weapons, coats... with the only exception that Whitebeard had his flag tied onto his grave. The lass was, in the end, crewless, thus was only given a black flag in honour of her pirate career.

 Both had flowers, all around them, honouring them until the end.

 The fallen were also buried there, but since most of the bodies were too destroyed to recognise, they were buried with only a single tombstone honouring them, with their weapons standing up high all over around the two main graves.

 The sky was rather gloomy, adding to the already cold atmosphere. It's as though at any given moment, it would pour down a disastrous storm, but it's holding up just about for it to not to do just that, making it seem like the heavens wanted to grieve so badly.

 Some time later though, a ray of shine peaked through the clouds, shining over the tombstones and everyone else, like someone had cleared out the skies for them.

 "Akagami... I..." Marco started, looking up at his pop's grave, "I don't know how to thank you..."

 "Don't... worry about it." Shanks looked over to him, "He... may have been my enemy, but Whitebeard was a man who commanded respect... even Sengoku would agree."

 "Yeah," Marco looked back at him, "Thank you..."

 "Shanks..." A voice coming from the said man's left made the two look over at the white-haired man. "I... give you my thanks as well. You, humans, are... not as bad as we thought..."

 "It's... nothing..." Shanks looked at Sayua's grave that was filled with white and pink roses, "She... was a part of my life too..."

 Samael sighed, looking up at Sayua's grave as well, "She may have been a mortal... but she lived far too shortly."

 Shanks breathed, "She did."

 "Had I not been too oblivious and naïve," Samael's red eyes grew fiercer, "she would've been alive right now."