『Chapter 6 | Regrets』

5.22.18  

1600 words (ik, exact 0's)

『Chapter 6 | Regrets』

  Jumping down without thinking, little Sayua skidded along the spikey and rocky shore with one particular sharp spike wounding her left face, specifically her left eye. She didn't feel any pain even with all of the deep and shallow wounds she had attained from her mindless and reckless action and thus continued running along the shore, hoping it was all just a bad dream.

 But she saw it, the Nobles and Royals saw it—the Tenryuubito made her big brother's vessel sink.

 It wasn't a dream, which she hoped it was, it wasn't hallucinations either. It was a horrible thing called reality—more like a nightmare.

 When the explosion died down and the red flames started to spread, she tripped and managed to watch her brother's signature top hat and goggles floating atop the water towards her direction. Tears escaped her already messed face upon the realization of the event.

 She shakily waited for the hat to float towards her before her trembling little hands grabbed it. She stared at it, gritting her teeth and holding the memento tight like they're going to disappear if she let go. She didn't felt any regret until now.

 She regretted raising her voice at him.

 She regretted not running after him.

 She regretted consuming the unknown fruit, making her an anchor of the sea.

 She regretted not saving him.

 She regretted having none of the abilities to do so.

 She regretted everything.

 Her mind started to blur with her thoughts clouding and clumping in her head. She then broke into a glass-shattering cry that echoed and was heard by nearby townsfolk. But before they actually heard the cry, the time seemed to slow down gradually before fully stopping.

 The crying girl stood up, still crying, before her little feet took her to a familiar path. Her feet took her to the deep forest, and the silence of the place calmed her down. She fell into silence with her sniffles as the only sound.

 Her mind started to clear but her head started to throb. She looked up, looking and noticing the frozen leaves in the air. She didn't question it, but she started to set a goal instead: She will not let her brothers die.