Prologue

Narcissa Malfoy looked at her father. He was dressed in all black, as usual. His hair was combed neatly and he was not looking at her. Narcissa clutched her trolley, she could see the sign for the 9 3/4 platform up ahead. Her palms became sweaty and her mouth dry. Then, her father pushed her back softly when no eyes were on them and she knew she that this was their moment to cross to the other side.

Smoke blurred their vision as they penetrated. It quickly cleared away to reveal the long train ready to leave for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She felt her father tense up behind her as they shuffled through the crowd. Narcissa tried to stay close to him, she didn't want him slipping away like he did oftentimes. While looking around for any familiar faces, she spotted her brother Scorpius's head which was poking from above the mass, about to board the train. He raised his hand slightly at his father when he caught glimpse of them. Draco nodded at his son and then placed his hand on his daughter's shoulder.

"Go on, Narcissa." He told her.

Narcissa stood there and waited for him to lean down, like all the other parents around her did. They hugged and kissed their kids goodbye before they ran off with their friends. When she realized that her father would not do that, she gave him a slight nod as well and unloaded her bags from the trolley.

Narcissa wished her mother had come to see her off, as she had promised. This was her first year at Hogwarts, after all. But she was sick in bed and could not make it.

When she had everything on hand she whirled around to head to the train but Draco called after her so she turned around to face him.

"Narcissa, your mother wanted me to give you this." He said, leaning down. He pressed one hand on the back of her head and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I hope you have a good year, Cissy."

"Thanks." Was the only word she could mutter. Again, she turned around and hopped on the train with nothing else from her father. Just then, the horns of the train chimed and more smoke covered and swirled through the air. Narcissa walked over to the nearest window to look at her father one last time before sitting down but he, like before, was not looking at her. She followed the direction of his gaze and her eyes dropped on a big family. 4 older kids were running toward the train but one girl around the same age as her had stayed behind. Two parents were cuddling her. The mum showered her with kisses and the father grinned down at her as he held her hand.

Narcissa moved away from the window, not even turning to look at her father one last time. She lifted her bags and went to search for an empty compartment. She didn't feel like making introductions.

On the long hallway of the train, she came across Scorpius. His back was to her and he was using his body to block the passageway. When Narcissa stopped abruptly, he spun around to look at her.

"Oh. It's you, Cissy." He loomed over her with his long torso. He never seemed to stop growing."It's a shame Mum couldn't come to see you off on your first year. But of course, that's your own fault, isn't it?" He said glowering.

Narcissa's insides churned. If she had the strength, she would've thrown her entire suitcase at her brother's thick face.

"You're pathetic, Scorpius." Even as she said the words, she knew they were like trying to brake a rock with a spoon. Nothing she said affect him, yet even one of his side glances was enough to make Narcissa flinch.

Scorpius's eyes turned into slits. "I hope you finally learn how to brew some proper potions, Cissy. Your stupid mistakes could've cost us our mother." He spit.

The knots inside her pulled tighter. The shakiness of the train forced Narcissa to steady herself with one hand against the window. The bag she was holding with her other arm was becoming heavier and she wanted to sit down and be by herself.