Chapter 10

December came like it always did. Bone-shattering cold and for the most part, solitary. Issa tried to be anywhere but the Slytherin dungeons which quickly became the coldest part of the castle. The walls were too cold to touch and the sink water spit bits of ice now and then. Issa was used to watching the castle become more and more quiet as the students left for their holiday break to spend the whole month with their family. 

She would visit her parents only for a few days at the end of the month; the castle was practically empty by the time she left. 

It was thrilling, having it all to herself. There was no waiting to use the restroom, the Great Hall was hushed and she could actually hear the jingles play; she could choose to sit wherever she pleased. Issa would hum in the hallways and sleep on the common room sofa next to the toasty fire. 

Not to mention, it was the perfect time to carefully plan all of her pranks and jinxes. She didn't need the help of Peeves to cover for her, and she had time to be extra elaborate. It almost made her wish everyone could be back sooner so she could watch them play out. 

But probably best of all, she didn't have to worry about Scorpius. He and her father almost always left early on a trip. She knew what they did though, and Issa wasn't particularly interested in partaking. They went looking for hidden dark artifacts to add to her father's collection. Of course, she knew that her father did this to rid the world of these dangerous objects that could cause harm in the hands of the wrong witch, but still, she had never appreciated having to grow up near them. Even behind the bewitched protection of the glass, she could feel their dark radiance. Issa believed they were the reason her family rarely ever showed warmth or gaiety. She blamed them for the pessimistic aura they caused, whether it was true or not. 

It was too early to be daydreaming about Christmas break however, there was still a long week ahead. In fact, it felt like that week was never going to end. Issa should have expected it though, since she had brought it upon herself. 

It had been revenge she wanted, hadn't it? But it seemed like the rest of the school had not caught the memo. They had their eyes on something else. 

That morning, Issa hadn't even left the Slytherin common room when she caught glace of Reagan slouching over a freshly printed copy of The Hognews.

"You read that rubbish?" Issa snorted. Her friend only looked up and smirked.

"I'm sorry, but this week's cover was hard to ignore." Reagan said, flopping the newspaper over to her. Issa took it with a furrowed brow. Nothing that paper ever talked about was of use. 

Issa unwrinkled the page, her eyes instantly dropped on the photograph on the top corner and her eyeballs nearly fell out of their sockets. They jerked to the text, it read:

This week's couple! Narcissa Malfoy and Albus Potter. Yes, you heard that right. It's the last thing we all expected, but it's true! 

And we're aware that you're all dying to know how this came to be. So don't fret, we've got the story. 

Gryffindor's Quidditch captain and son of the Chosen One, Albus Potter was heroically saved by none other than the infamous Narcissa Malfoy after being under a week-long Love Potion addiction given to him by Gryffindor's Victoria Blue. A true soap opera, at Hogwarts!

Students who saw the full scene happen in real time have told us that the argument was heated and that it quickly escalated into a duel between Narcissa and Victoria over who took Potter (although others insist that it was over who loved him most). Narcissa Malfoy was crowned victorious when her tongue enlarging jinx impeded Blue to hex her back. But apparently Narcissa hadn't been working alone, Lily Potter had also come to her brother's aid, exposing her best friend since childhood for what she had done.