Chapter 5: The Daily Life of Chloe Nevers

Remember: COMMENT/VOTE/FAN! I would LOVE to hear your thoughts! This is a pretty long chapter...Hope you enjoy! Press that button that says "VOTE". DO IT. ----------->                                      

                                                                 Chapter 5:

Rose left me alone so I could talk to my sister. Even if it’s just to her grave, it felt nice to say goodbye.

“Hey Laura. God, this is hard…” I could already feel the tears threatening to spill out at the thought of my little sister. My chest tightened as I tried to hold the tears back.

“I’m so, so sorry I wasn’t there for you for most of your life. I just thought that if I stayed away from you, mother, and father then you guys would be safer. That’s the only reason I did it" I stated, shaking my head. "I’ve thought about you every day of my life; wondering if you ever needed me. I know there were times I needed you. I love you so much Laur.” My voice started quivering and the tears were already falling free.

“Goodbye” I whispered.

I stood up and wiped the tears streaking down my face away.

“I’m finished Rose.” I said, knowing she would hear. I see Rose appear from the other side of the cemetery and she quickly comes over to give me a hug. “You okay?” She asks concerned.

“Yeah, I’m good” I replied, nodding. We drove back to house and got inside to dry ourselves off. When we got inside, I heard the coffee maker beeping frantically inside. “They’re back!” Rose squealed, back to her usual peppy self. During the car ride, the tightness in my chest had gone away and I was able to think clearer. I walked over to the fireplace to turn it on and dry off but I saw a blonde head pop out of the kitchen doorway.

“Rose!” A deep voice bellowed.

“Hey John! Rose told me you guy are staying he– “ But I was cut off by John gliding over to me and squeezing me in one of his infamous bear hugs. “Oh…John…air!” I wheezed out. John stepped back and winced when he saw me gasping for breath.

“Sorry Chlo, I forgot how puny you are.”

“I’m not puny! I just need to work out a little!” I defended with a mock pout. John’s mouth pulled up into an even bigger grin. "I missed you Chlo!"

"I missed you too John. So, I heard you and Jess are getting pretty close, huh?” I wiggled my eyebrows as he turned a deep red. “W-Well, I m-mean yeah, b-but well, I guess – “ I laughed at his nervousness.

“Just spit it out.”

“Fine. Yes, I do like her!” He said exasperated, throwing his hands in the air. 

“Then you should ask her out! You’ve only known each other for what…seventy years?” I replied sarcastically.

“I guess I could try…” John said reluctantly.

“Good boy!” I said with a grin and patted his head. I yawned just then and realized how late it was. “I’m going to go to sleep now so could you tell Jessie I said goodnight?” I asked with my eyelids already growing heavy.

“Sure, kiddo. Sweet dreams!”

“Sweet dreams.” I murmured back to him. When I got upstairs to my room, I opened the door to Rose jumping up and down on my bed singing some Nicki Manaj song. “Really Rose? It’s freaking 11:30!” I exclaimed, dumbfounded.

Rose stopped and flopped onto her back. “But I usually don’t sleep until 3:00!”

Oh my God. I am going to hurt this child. As I refrained from strangling her, I forced myself to slip under the covers, not even bothering to change into pajamas. I somehow drowned out Roses’ consistent rambling and right when I close my eyes, I was immediately consumed into sweet, sweet sleep.