Chapter 9: Self Defense and Ice Cream

Chapter 9:

After Rose and I got back from school on Friday, Jess called us downstairs to talk. I figured it was about all the stuff that has been going on recently. We went into the living room to find John and Jess sitting on the couch. I sat down on the chair facing across from them and asked, “So what’s going on?”

“We need to go over some things,” Jessie started, “and let you and Rose know what’s okay and not okay.” I nodded while Rose yawned. Jess opened her mouth again speak. “Well, first we aren’t sure what’s going on with the scientists. We know they’ve found us but for some reason they aren’t making any moves…” She finished, frowning in confusion.

“And second – John and I don’t think that school is good for you guys right now. You’re unprotected and we can’t have that at a time like this.”

“What?!” Rose and I exclaimed in unison. “But they won’t target us at a place where there’s hundreds of other students!” I protested. “All they need is one moment when there’s no one around to capture you. And this way I can teach you how to defend yourself.” John said, grinning.

Oh God. Defend ourselves?

“So we still have to exercise?” Rose questioned. By the look on her face, she wasn’t happy about this either. “Fine. I’ll do it.” I responded, knowing we didn’t really have a choice. Ugh, this is sucky. I really wish being immortal came with extra strength or some time of natural self defense mechanism. But no, we’re stuck with better hearing and eyesight! Oh, and rapid cell degeneration. That too…

“Oh yeah - Jessie and I are dating. Bye!” And with that they both darted out of that room. Holy. When did this happen?! I looked over at Rose to see her staring at the doorway with her mouth hanging open.

“We are definitely gonna have to talk to them about that later.” She stated, raising her eyebrows. “I’m gonna go get ice cream! Wanna come with me? Eh? Ehhh?” She asked, wiggling her eyebrows and smiling with her mouth open. I chuckled at the face she was making and agreed to go with her. We drove to Ben and Jerry’s since it was the closest to us and went into the ice cream store.

“It’s so cold in here! Ooh! They have raspberry!” Rose exclaimed, skipping to the other side of the store. I smiled, shaking my head as she motioned me over. I walked over to meet her but stopped as she looked up, her smile slowly faded. This probably wasn’t good. Rose always smiles…

I turned my head to look at what had her act like that and saw Declan standing behind the counter, staring at me. Crap. He walked over to me and smiled. “Hey! You want some ice cream?” Isn’t that what pedophiles ask when they try to get little kids to get in their cars?

“Yeah…um…sure.” I responded, not sure if I wanted him to scoop it. He could put poison in it to knock me out for a while then kidnap me! Or am I being too paranoid again? “I’ll have…” I picked the first thing that caught my eye. “Vanilla, I guess?”

“Vanilla it is then!” He responded, picking up the scooper. I watched his every move, looking for anything suspicious. By this time Rose had already jogged over to me and was now poking me in the side repeatedly.

“What?” I whispered, tearing my gaze away from Declan to look at her. “Why is Declan here?” She whispered back. “Rose. He works here…” I replied, cocking an eyebrow. “Oh. That makes sense!” She said, grinning happily. Declan finished putting the ice cream in a medium cup and reached his arm over the counter to give it to me.

As I cupped the bottom of it and brought it back to me, I felt something poke into my skin. What the heck? I looked up at Declan, who was now staring at my hand intently. “What did you do?” I hissed, lifting up the cup to see what was under it. A tiny blade stuck out from under it and the blade looked like it was pushed up into the cup.

I quickly moved my hand into the pocket of my jeans before Declan could see anything. “Are you okay? I saw blood on your hand” Declan asked, looking concerned. Yeah right, concerned my ass. “Rose, get in the car and lock it. I’m gonna go clean this off.” I said, still glaring at Declan.

“Alrighty then!” Rose responded, walking out of the store, totally oblivious to everything that just happened. I walked to the bathroom at the very end of the room and was about to go inside when I heard footsteps behind me.

Spinning around, I saw Declan reaching out towards me. “Come here. Trust me, I won’t hurt you.” He said, pulling me into the girl’s bathroom. Holy crap, he was strong. No matter how much I struggled, he was still able to pull me inside with him covering my mouth. When we were completely inside, he let me go and locked the door. “I promise I won’t hurt you. But right now, we really need to talk.”

John’s self defense classes were really looking good right now… 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think about Declan? Do you think he's good or bad?? Sorry this chapter was kinda short! I hit a type of writer's block and this is what I came up with! VOTE/COMMENT/Whatever your heart desires! But seriously - your support means a lot to me! Thanks guys! Byee! :D