Thirty Six

Eli

One week later and we were in Georgia and fresh off the plane and on our way to his parents house where the party was being held. We were a little late because our flight was late and the longer I sat in this car the more nervous I got.

"Were here," Chance announced pulling up to a nice size house smack dab in the middle of the suburbs. That wasn't the thing that made me nervous, it was the amount of cars in the driveway and parked along the street.

"Here."

"Yeah."

"I thought you said this was supposed to be a small party?"

"It is."

I scoffed, "It looks like the whole damn city is here."

"That's usually how our parties start but they always seem to get out of hand," he smiled to himself but I didn't find anything funny.

"You should have told me that, I'm not prepared."

"You've met my mom before and my dad."

"Yes but not the rest of your family. What if they don't like me."

"There going to like you trust me. Just be yourself and if they don't like you it doesn't matter because I'm in love with you and there all going to love you just like I do," he shrugged and got out of the car and his words made me feel better but we would see. He opened my door and we walked up the driveway and to the front door hand in hand.

"You ready."

"Yeah."

He opened the door and there was a sea of people having a good time, dancing to whatever this was playing in the background and eating. This was definitely a party and the few people who were by the door stopped and staring at Chance like he was a prodigy and probably what he was doing with me.

They pointed towards where some people were dancing and in the mix I spotted his mom and dad. Chance was hushed everyone who gasped at seeing him and walked up behind his mom all the while still holding my hand despite me trying to get him to let me go. He finally did when his mom turned and gasped when she laid eyes on him and hugged him. You could see the joy all over her face so Chance's plan to surprise her worked.

As they embraced, he embraced his dad and a few other people while I ran a hand through my hair hoping that my makeup was still in tact. Chance told me that I didn't need any but I just wanted to make a good impression and I made Tiffany who did it before we left keep it simple.

"Eli," his mom caught me off guard with a big hug, "It's good to see you again."

"You to, happy birthday."

"Thank you. I don't know if I'm more happy to see Chance or the fact that you two showed up together."

I don't know what I was expecting to walk into but I was expecting to be welcomed with open arms. I've met his mom before and she was sweet but now I was dating her son so I expected her to give me the third degree. I guess we had plenty of time to get into that though.

"Nephew," an older guy walked up and greeted Chance with a hug and then the guy turned towards me, "Who's this beautiful girl you showed up with?"
It seemed like everyone got quiet waiting for Chance to answer, I noticed but I don't think Chance did as he grabbed my hand and introduced me, "Everyone this is my girlfriend Eli."

I looked around and waved to everyone, "Hi."

That was like the go for everyone to turn their attention towards me, everyone greeted me and introduced themselves. Of course I got interrogated by a few older women in a short amount of time, my age, what did I do and then one took it a step further after asking did I purposely cut my hair that short and another asking where was my meat and even called out to someone to make me a plate of food before even asking if I was hungry.