Chapter 1. Birthday Morning

As I turn to stretch my bones, the ray from the early morning sun catches my eyes, and I realize,  " oh its morning already not just another morning but my birthday morning".

Wow it's that time of the year again.  Pheeew!!!! Whenever I get to this point in my life I really get to think deep. Reflect on the past, present and the future.

On the bed now I feel the urge to say a prayer. I straighten my legs using the duvet to cover them up properly, I use my palm to cup my face as I mumble a word of prayer within me.

"Dear Lord, I thank you for the gift of life, I thank you for your faithfulness. Words can not be enough to express my gratitude. Lord my life seems to be so sweet just because you blessed me with a man like Jason. Thank you Jesus in the...

I'm about to conclude my communication with God and a distracting knock on the door makes my heart skip. Who else if not my mum, she sure has to report for duty. She has taken it upon her self to remind me of my age as much as she can and how I can't be honoured as a single woman who is already "32" in this part of the world.

Before I attend to the knock, I have to rush my conclusion.

"In the mighty name of Jesus I pray Amen"

"Yes mum"
she screams from the other side of the door "Clarrisse don't tell me you're still in bed" I can already imagine the look on her face eventhough I'm still on the other side of the door.

So I moved out of the bed, quickly adjusting my nighty as I walked to the door. I held the handle, unlocked the door and opened the door to reveal my mums chubby face.

She stretches out her hands to hug me and I reluctantly accepted her hug. My mums hug always has a way a giving me a reflection of me as daughter to hasn't lived up to the expectations of the woman who single handedly groomed her into a woman.

Mum walks straight to my bed. As I tried to close the door I turn around to see her already seated with a smile I couldn't see through.

Then I say to my self. "it's that time of the year again phewww". She looks straight into my eyes and ask, "Clarrie are you OK"? I Hurriedly answered yes I'm fine momma.

Mum starts

"Clarrie you are blessed."

I know is prayer time so I bowed down my head and programmed my self to keep echoing "Amen" till the end of this session.

Amen

"You are destined for greatness"

Amen

"Nobody will take your place in life"

Amen

"You will marry your husband and give me grand children"

This time my Ameeeeen is louder and stressed that's to give her the "it's OK signal" because I'm no longer comfortable with the turn it's taking.

I do a fake smile and hug her tightly.

Momma I love and appreciate you so much very soon I will make you very very proud. She smiles and says "Amen"

I quickly stand up from the bed and head to my closet to give momma the "gotta move on to something else signal".

Thank goodness my phone rings, she gets up immediately, headed towards the door she turns to me. "it's Saturday what are your plans? Care to have some friends over?

Looking at my phone with the eagerness to answer the phone. "no MA I.....have a date with Jason. Eagar to see her reaction, she smiles and says "oh that's better"

Did I hear her right? Well maybe it's not what I think. Mum walks out of my room and I hope Jason calls me back. He has been the person calling my mobile. I keep checking out my closet. Today is kinda special. I can't remember the last time a man treated me right on my birthday.

Dang!!! My mobile phone starts ringing.
I reach out for it like there is an emergency. (Lol) don't look at me like that.

Phone Convo

Jay: happy birthday to the most amazing woman I know. You have been such an inspiration to me and no matter what happens to today you'd still be my inspiration.

Me: oh baby now you're gonna make me cry (warm tears roll down my cheeks)

Jay: baby I will always love you

Me: and I will love you until you ask me to stop. (Giggling) I love you right back.

Jay: get set baby my driver will pick you up in the next  hour.

I stare at the clock it's 11am already

Me: Ok can't wait to get my big day started with you by my side.

Jay: sure! kisses

The phone line cuts.

Out of excitement I rush to momma in the kitchen. Mum I think Jason is going to put on ring on it today. She hugs me in excitement and says baby God will perfect all that concerns you. I scream "Amen" while I rush back to the room to get a shower and get ready for my surprise.

It's 12noon and I'm standing in front of my mirror. Sorta admiring my black sleeveless dress with silver stones, body fitted, little bit below my knees on a red shoe with shinny details. I turn around to see how those curves are doing. They are perfect. I quickly run my fingers through my hair to make sure it's perfect. Long hair always does it for me. My makeover is just there.

While I'm doing all that I hear a car horn, I peep through the window and it's Jay's Driver Ade. I quickly grab my red purse and head out.

So I'm in the back seat and after 10 mins Ade looks through the rearview and says happy birthday madam.

"oh thank you very much Ade"

Ade " you are welcome ma"

I use this opportunity to ask him. "where are we headed?"

It's a surprise MA Ade says cheerfully.

I keep calm and enjoy the ride. In no time we are at the gate of the very beautiful hotel "Sunrise" how come I've never been here I say to my self we drive into the building and I receive a text from Jay saying "meet me at the restaurant".

We are parked and I gorgeously step out of the car only to see a guy waiting to bring me to the restaurant.

He says this way please, I gently say thank you and follow his lead.

I'm here......and I sight Jason handsomely seated in one part of the restaurant with gifts placed on the table.

Wow all I feel right now is love. I walk down to Jay and he stands up and gives me a hug while planting a kiss on my lips. He whispers to me. " You are beautiful" all I did was smile, loosed myself from the grip of his hug and took a seat right opposite him.

Now my heart is racing nobody has ever proposed to me. How should I react? Should I scream in joy while saying yes or cry and mess up my makeup? Should I just act like a bitch. In split seconds I have a lot going through my head.

Well I guess I will just wait till he pops the question and watch out for my reaction. I say in my head, rolling my eyes while I take a deep breath.

Omg I'm nervous I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Promise that the next will be very captivating. 😘