Chapter 2. The Engagement

I look into Jay's eye I see love, I see depression, I see a Little bit of excitement. I can't really tell it all but right now his silence is killing me. 

Finally he takes a deep breath, looks right into my eyes, moves his both hands forward across the table to grab mine.  Tightly holding mine. He speaks;

"Clarrisse the past 11 months have been the most amazing. You have have been a wonderful companion. Spending most of my free time with you has always been a privilege and trust me from the day I meet you till now I have never loved you less.  You're such a beautiful soul, the world needs more of you".

At this point I notice how red his eyes are. Hold on!!  Is that tear I see in his eyes. OMG I'm so emotional right now I'm trying so hard not to cry. I'm really moved by sweet and inspiring words most times I don't even care if those words are lies I just want to hear them. (now that's my weakness).

Then I manage to say "Jason you too have been so good to me"

He cuts me off and nods in disapproval.

"No No I've been an ass and you deserve better".

Now I'm really worried, when a guy says "you deserve better it's really a thing to worry about", while I'm busy thinking about a million things I notice Jason looking past my shoulder like there is someone standing behind me. 

I look at him I'm like "are you OK?  What's this all about"?  Obviously Jay is lost, I turn behind to look at what he is seeing.  I see Lola.  I'm confused what is Lola doing here?(Lola is kinda my only friend I like to keep my circle small) Clearly she is here to witness my ENGAGEMENT. OK why is she standing there like she doesn't know me, and there is this evil look on her face. 

At this point I remove my hands from Jay's and beckon on Lola. " Hi Lola!! "  she hardly responded. Now I'm sick and tired of the suspense neither Jay nor Lola wants to speak. 

Out of anger I hit my hand of the table screaming "what is going on here?"

Lola gives an evil smile and finally speaks. "Clarrisse happy birthday! Jay!! She calls him with authority in her voice......Go on be a man, do it now"

OK I'm still confused but I think she is just trying  to spice up my engagement.
I'm a Little bit relieved and now I turn, before I could say a word he is already down on his knees. (I'm like, OMG this is it!)  the next word Jay says is; 

"Clarrisse I'm sorry I wish I could have done this any other day. I'm deeply sorry I can't do this" ( staring at Lola).

OK now I'm crazy. I dont understand what's going on. I stand up from my seat looking down on Jay. "Jason! What the fuck is going on here?  Why are you saying sorry? What cant you do? Answer me now I say screaming at him.

Jason gets back on his feet. Looking into my eyes. "Clarrisse I have to end this now, I'm sorry but I'm getting married to Lola soon".

At This point the witch (Lola) walks out of the restaurant with a face that says  "mission accomplished".

My heart just jumped into my stomach, My legs glued to the spot I was standing, I automatically felt a migraine. My eyes opened wide, I'm shocked to my bones. I feel like the hotel building just crashed on me.  I put my right hand on my tummy, used the left to hold the table for support. I feel like I'm in labour. Jeez!!! I gently try to take a seat then Jay stretches him arms trying to support me.

I scold him like never before,  "Don't you dare!!!!! (breaking down in tears) touch me" OMG  Why! Why!! Why!!! Oh God Why!!!  Jason....tell me, why did you choose  to marry my friend? why Lola? Why did you have to mess up my birthday day? Why didn't you just wait till tomorrow or.. Jason cuts me off, with pain in his eyes he kneels in front of me.