Chapter 3.The Celebration

It's already 7pm. It's been a long day for me all I want to do right now is sleep and forget about every thing that happened today. ( oh yeah talk is cheap). I'm walking into the building and I could hear people cheering and talking inside the house, Could it be that momma brought home some of her friends in the neighborhood? What could she be celebrating? But I just got off the phone with her 30 minutes ago she should have mentioned it.

My heart is racing, the closer I get to the door the faster the my heart beat goes.

I'm in front of the door and I could hear women talking and laughing out loud. I go 1,2,3, (in my head with my eyes closed) I turn the door open.

I get the shock of my life when they all shouted "Congratulations Clarrisse" (OMG Momma is celebrating my engagement) my face is filled with surprise and I realized my mouth was open. I quickly do a fake smile and reply; "awww in so grateful" thank you! I move further to hug Aunty Gloria. She seems to be the happiest. Even happier than momma. (lol) Aunt Gloria is momma's closest friend they have been through thick and thin together. They are both trying to survive without their husbands. Catering for their children alone. Women are stronger than we know .

I unhug Aunty Gloria and move straight to Momma give her a peck and hug, pull her by the hand dragging her to the kitchen.

Mum what's this all about? Was kinda fuming in anger.

"Clarrisse when you called me some minutes ago to tell me that Jason finaly proposed.

( OK don't look at me like that, yeah I called her to tell her that the fool proposed. that was the only thing I could think about. I'm tired of being a failure. I'm tired of momma having sleepless nights because she thinks I have a spiritual husband that won't let me marry a physical husband. I'm tired of giving the failed relationship story and how are my supposed to tell her that this time its Lola. She sees Lola as her daughter too. Momma deserves to be happy you know! Let's hear what she has to say)

that moment was the best moment of my life. I have been waiting for This process since you turned 22. Ever since your father ran off with his new family abandoning me and my girls, you and your kid sister. I have prayed that God should transfer all the happiness he failed to give me in my marriage to you and your sister (she breaks down in tears, using her palm to cup her face as she weeps profusely).

Oh No!!!Momma can do anything but not crying in my presence. Her tears burn my heart. I reach out to her holding her tight. I'm already crying along side but I quickly get a grip and wipe her tears with my hand, and whispers to her....Do you want to see my ring? (yeahhhh remember when I asked the cab driver to pull over at a certain shop? It was a jewelry shop I had to get an engagement ring to back up my lies to momma. Life has a way turning us into the people we don't want to be).

Those words quickened her crying eyes as she pulls up my left hand and checks out the so called ring. (yeah it's a so called ring. This isn't how I planned to get a ring. We all wished for the Cinderella kinda tale but hey here we are).

She looks into my eyes and says; "Baby I'm so proud of you" for a moment I felt like this whole thing wasn't a charade.

Momma takes me back to join Aunt Gloria and others in the celebrations. This time I've decided to flow with the rhythm and forget about all the negative stuffs and just enjoy the moment.

Wow there is plenty of champagne. I'm already drowning my self in a bottle when momma walks over to say " Is it too late to invite Lola?" I turn to her with pain and anger written all over my face, But then the charade must go on... "Oh mum Lola is out of town else you know she'd be the first to get here. Momma walks back to Aunt Gloria nodding in approval.

OMG for how long can I keep this up. I need to come up with something to buy time before momma smells something fishy. I can't remember the last time I told momma a lie of this magnitude but hey a girl gotta to do what girl gotta do.

It's almost 10pm and our guests are starting to leave. The last woman to leave is Aunt Gloria her flat isnt far from ours, she could just walk home.

Right now it's just me and Momma. Did I mention that my kid sister is in school? She is studying Law in University of Port Harcourt. When ever she is not here its just me and Momma.

Before I head for my room I need to tighten one more end. Momma just finished locking the door and closing the windows she was about to leave for her room when I called on her.

"Mum there is problem."

"what is it Clar?" she responds with a Little bit of shock written all over her.

It's about Jason (don't worry I'm not about to give my mum a heart attack by telling her the truth about me and Jason, I'm tipsy but not enough to spill)

"It's too early to have a problem oh what could that be" mum asks.

Jason is leaving the country, he is leaving for Australia in Two days. He will be back in six months, that means we all have to wait for six months before the wedding. I say worriedly.

"Ehh it's OK...we have waited for over seven years for a moment like this, so six months won't kill us she say humorously".

I genuinely give her a smile as I look into her eyes with gratitude. "Thank you momma, for all the support I'm grateful".

She gives me one last hug and heads for her room. I know she will sleep like never before but I can't say that for myself.
I stand up to switch off the electric bulbs in the sitting room. Then head for my room.

I give God all the glory all the same, as I jump on my bed, laying back down just looking upwards. Thanks to the champagne I'm so sleepy.