Chapter 8. The Boss (ii)

I'm just here staring at Derek. Do humans like this still exist?. A man that can ask his driver in for launch. I don't know why I feel like this doesn't happen everyday.

The food is here and I feel like we don't even have the time to eat. Launch will soon be over. I kept looking at my wrist watch.

"Don't bother about the time. Take your time ok".

If you say so sir. I ordered white rice with vegetable chicken sauce and fanta apple Thats my favorite drink,  He said he wanted the same meal but with water instead. That's what's on our table now. I can't even do justice to this food I'm just eating in slow motion. I need to be coordinated.

"Clarrisse"

Yeah. I looked up

"So tell me where is your ring? "

Sorry? What ring?

"Your engagement ring off course"

Oh oh oh that? (wahala) that means Vanny did not gist him. Sorry I thought you where referring to something else. Well its in my purse.

"Why would you do that, You are engaged right?"

Sir!! ( he cuts me off)

"Please call me Derek when we aren't in the office OK we are friends, family friends right?"

Yeah right Derek. Emm OK I promise to tell you why I would rather have it in my purse always. Or you  can ask your wife she knows all about it.

"That's serious but I wanna hear from you trust me. Anytime is a good time for me".

Oh OK. Wow I don't know why my heart is racing  like I should just disappear for a while. Can't wait to get away from him and this is the first and last time I would ever do launch or get this close. He looks so cute to me. Back in the day Vanny and I never admired either of our boyfriends I don't know how that works but we just never did.

We back in the office and I just know that gossipers must have done their analysis I just need an opportunity to tell one of them that the boss is my friends hubby so she can disseminate the information atleast it would give their gossip a direction.
I can't even concentrate or get back to my work I keep seeing Derek in my head and our conversation is just replaying. I'm even smiling like an idiot right. Well it can't be what I'm thinking nahhh. I hit my head once and try to look into the files on my table.

It's time to head home I need to hustle for a cab outside pheww.

"Hey are you ready?"

Oh lord not again Derek. I muttered to my self. Ermm ready for what? I asked him pretending I had no idea of what he meant.

"Come on Clarrisse you are ready to go home I know. And you also mentioned during lunch that your car had issues. So my driver will take you home".

Please I don't want to bother you OK.

"You know Vanny will eat me up if she gets the hint I had an opportunity to give you a ride but instead I let you use town service".

Yeah right. I know OK I give up let's go. But please promise me you won't go out of your way to do anything for me because of Vanny.

" I can't promise that let's go"

It was a very quite ride. He did not talk to me and I did not talk to him either. I was just looking outside admiring the city.

"Hey are you ok?"

He asked with his very milk voice.

I looked at him and smiled, yeah just tryna relax.

"so can you tell me about you engagement"

When he mentioned it, I quickly brought out the ring and put it in my finger. I stared at my fingers all the memories came back. Can I ever forget? Well I told him everything and by the time I was done we were already in front of my gate. I could see that his countenance changed. He was actually feeling pity for me.

Here we are. Thank you for today Boss I said smiling. Please send my regards to Vanny.

"Yeah I will and please send my regards too to momma tell her I want that Nigerian jollof as soon as possible".

Lol sure I will. walking in, I wave at him as the driver makes a turn out.

Momma ( I yelled) walking into the house. I used my key to open the front door momma is always in her room by this time.

Momma walks out to meet me

"welcome Ada, how was work today? "

I took a deep breath throwing my self on the couch as I slip off my shoes, throwing my hand bag on another couch. Mum Vanny's husband is the new boss I told you we were expecting. You need to have seen how surprised I was when I saw him earlier today.

"Really that good atleast you don't have to worry about your boss being a demon or worse".

Ah momma your so funny. Well you have a point at least I have a boss who is also a friend. He bought me lunch and also brought me home.

"why did you stress him like that"

Momma Derek is so stubborn. Vanny has initiated him. They both behave alike. I don't even feel like going into my room now. Africa Magic channel will help relieve my stress now.

"Your sister called, she said she needs Money urgently".

Really Bernie doesn't ask for money unless it's really important to her. How much

"She said she needs 100k for books and other stuffs, but I told her I have just 20k now"

Mum don't worry I will send the money to her first thing in the morning, you know she told you because she wants you to tell me not necessarily for you to give her the money. I know my sister too well.

"wow thank you somuch Ada my God will continue to bless you. Your forth coming marriage will be a success and nothing on earth can stop it. You deserve all the best my child.

Amen momma I need to go to my room now.

"watch your Africa Magic now"

No lemme have my bath.

"what about food?"

I will make noodles later. It's been a while I had those.

"Alright I will be here, I'm enjoying the movie already, you can come down later if you wish".

I guess you know why I ran away. Did she just say forth coming marriage? Oh lawd. It will kill momma if she finds out that there is no wedding anytime soon. God please I need your help more than ever. Maybe I need a miracle.

It's about that time.
The real deal.
I'm so excited about the next chapter.
Please drop your comments and contributions. I'm really waiting to hear from y'all.