Book II - | 15 |

Let's not pretend, anymore,
That this is working.
Let's not pretend, anymore,
That you care.
- We both knew this was coming.

~ Poet via Instagram.

•••

Ava

"What the hell do you want?" I gritted out the second I swiped the answer button.

"Are you already forgetting about your 'eye for an eye' thing?" Amedeo threw a mocking question in a calm and collected tone.

"Yeah, because I'm the weak, melting female character of a book who couldn't take back revenge instead of behaving like a femme fatale," I retorted, already sure that if this stupid man could detect the sarcasm in my voice.

"Right. You haven't forgotten." He replied, "I was reminding you to not sit idly. What have you planned so far?"

I sat on the bed, thinking thoughtfully because in fact, I didn't come up with anything.

After a brief moment, Amedeo spoken again, "I knew it. Women are smart but slow."

I rolled my eyes, "Well, last time I checked, you weren't very fast when the wall was falling over you."

"Ava Knights," he sounded angry, "Now that we are going to do this together, I'm likely to get mad if you waste my time. So listen carefully, I want you to find the one person whom my son cares about the most."

"Key word: You are his father. You should know about your son's favourite toy."

He scoffed, "It was me back then, but it's been eight years. I have no clue about my family now."

I grimaced in disgust. The bastārd had the nerve to say my family after all these years. I could only imagine how much Aaron loathed him.

"What will you do once I told you who the person is?" I asked, placing the last few clothes in a travelling bag. Amedeo doesn't answer, it was as if he has fallen in a deep thought and I didn't know why I suddenly dreaded the answer.

"I want Aaron to feel heartbreak when someone who he loves the most betrays him. And I will simply take it away from him."

•••

"What are you doing here?" My eyes widened when I saw Drake standing next to Nedaya.

They both turned their heads towards me, "Well," he looked at Nedaya as if he wanted her to tell me.

She pushed back her sunglasses and gave me a calm smile, "I invited him to come with me. He will be my plus one."

"Oh," I was stunned by her answer. I raised my eyebrow at Drake but he decided to ignore me. When I walked past him, I fisted his shirt, dragging him along with me.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked him as soon as we stopped far from everyone in the Rome Ciampino Airport, the only regional private jet airport in Italy.

"No, I'm not," He shrugged.

"You said you were going back to London."

"I changed my mind, Ava-"

"You have to understand it's not safe!" I tried to keep my voice down, not wanting to get the attention of the men roaming around us.