Book II - | 21 |

Song: Bebe Rexha - Meant to be ft. Florida Georgia Line

•••

As above, so below.
As within, so without.

- The Emerald Tablet, Circa 3000 BC

•••

Ava

           "Where were you gone?"

A voice resonated in the empty hall of this mansion. I stopped dead in my tracks, closing my eyes and heaving a frustrated sigh. I was hoping everyone would be asleep and clearly, there were not. I sure as hell didn't want to talk to anyone now, it was only my Mom I could think of. I had to get to my room and call Dad to warn him about what was going to happen.

I turned to look at Leon shooting daggers with his eyes on me. He had this suspicious expression on his face that never left whenever I was around.

"I was at Drake's," I lied, staring right at his eyes. Leon was a smart man, he would know I was lying if I refused to make an eye contact while telling him.

Leon walked towards me in a slow pace, it was almost threatening but I stood my ground. "Liar," he gritted out, "Who the fūck goes out in the middle of the night?"

"And who the hell stays awake in the middle of the night?" I retorted instantly.

I eyed his hands balling into fists, "Why do you have a bag with you?" He asked again. I  took a step back, gulping the lump in my throat.

"I went to pick some clothes of mine," I answered, gripping the bag. "Why do you care?"

Leon scoffed, his unmoving jaw twitched, which was very, very bizarre. "Either you are lying or hiding something."

Actually, both. My phone beeped with a new message and I chose to ignore it.

"I will find what's so important for you than Aaron who is ready to destroy the world just to protect you." Leon's tone changed into a low, dangerous voice. "You are not good enough for him. You were never."

My face fell. I felt my shoulders slumping in defeat, suddenly too weak to hold my guard. It took everything in me to not look at him when I replied, "I know I'm not. But I will be gone one day, for good."

Leon walked past me, his voice echoing as he said, "I look forward to that."

I headed straight to his room, opening the door only to find the bed deserted. I pulled out my phone and quickly made a call to my father. He picked up immediately, "Hey, sweetheart. How are you?"

"I'm good, dad." I said to him, not knowing how to tell about the real reason I called him for.

As if on cue, he asked, "Is something wrong? Did they come to know why you are actually there—"

I cut him off, "N—no. It's not that."

"Okay?" He prompted and I closed my eyes, processing my thoughts, my emotions that were getting the best of me. I felt so confused with everything. It pushed me to just go and cry, and scream at nothing. Anger, regret, sadness and most importantly, atonement were growing up inside of me.