"Welcome to the family."

Based off a post I made on Tumblr about a Far Cry 5 x Resident Evil 7 crossover.

Joseph stared at the empty church with a smile. Another successful sermon and he was extremely proud of how it turned out. He was nervous before the day even started, worrying if the new-comers would appreciate his words as much as his children did. Thankfully after the sermon was over many new faces came to tell him how far they traveled just to hear him speak and how his words touched them. It warmed his heart to hear their stories.

The evening quickly fell to night and Joseph packed up his belongings. He was beyond exhausted from his nerves earlier in the day and he just wanted to sleep away all the anxiety that still hung onto him.

Sounds of gunfire too close for his liking pulled him out of his anxiety filled thoughts and he rushed outside. The men standing guard at the gate began yelling at each other and Joseph quickened his pace to see what all the fuss was about.

"Are you fucking crazy?!" One of the men shouted, "It's a little girl, you can't kill a child!"

"What if she's with the Resistance?" Another defended.

"What is going on?" Joseph asked as he pushed the gates open

The men went silent as they stared at their Father, unsure of how to explain to him that they fired a couple of rounds at a scared and tired looking little girl.

Joseph followed one of the men's gaze towards the little girl, his heart sank into his stomach as he seen the tears streaming down her face and her whole body shaking with fear.

"Are you alright?" He asked as he kneeled down in front of her.

"She just showed up out of nowhere, we weren't sure what was going on. We thought it-"

"You need to be more careful," Joseph barked back, "There are still children around here -- innocent children,"

The man sighed and nodded. None of them were sure how to defend their actions. Everyone had completely forgotten that despite everything going on and the many people who left before all this happened, some children were still living in Hope County.

"What's your name?" Joseph asked the little girl.

She sniffled and looked into his eyes, "Eve-Eveline," She answered, "My name's Eveline."

"Where's your parents, Eveline?" Joseph asked

"I don't have parents anymore."

"What do you mean?" He asked with his brows furrowed, "Anymore?"

"They didn't want to be my parents," Was all the little girl said about the situation,

Joseph stood to his feet and placed his hand on her shoulder, "Why don't you follow my men and they'll get you to a warm bed, yeah? Then tomorrow we'll find your parents."

"I don't have parents," Eveline repeated, "I don't have a family."

Maybe this little girl was in foster care, Joseph thought. His heart filled with sadness as he remembered his own childhood.

"Do you have a family?" She asked and looked up at him.

"I do," Joseph replied with a nod, "I have two brothers and a sister."

"They're my family now," Eveline said.

Joseph chuckled and nodded again. Eveline looked at him with a confused look on her face, wondering what was so funny about her statement.

"Then they're your family now," Joseph said, "Let's get you into some dry clean clothes and into bed, you must be tired."

Eveline smirked as she followed behind the three men who had shot at her not too long ago. The smirk on her face made Joseph feel uneasy. He shrugged it off and shut the gates behind him.