Chapter One

Okay guys so this is my first story! Let me know what you think and maybe suggestions or just even general comments. Thanks so much!

As a side note, I do want to say that this version of werewolves and mates might not exactly fit with what's the norm, but this is my take so enjoy!
xo

Kara

     The competition is coming up soon, and I now push harder than ever to escape being claimed. Never in my life will I hope for that.

     Every year, there's a competition for the male werewolves to claim a female. Females are forced to compete even if it's against their will. The punishment is banishment and to become a rogue is the worst dishonor to come to a wolf. Females then participate in the contest and it almost becomes a chase for those who don't want to compete. For those who do, the competition is a social gathering where they are able to meet their mate. Everyone says finding a mate can turn even the most stubborn she-wolf mushy and love her mate full heartedly, but I have yet to believe that myself. Of course I've seen it, but it'll have to happen to me for me to actually believe it, and that'll never happen.

A male were will only be able to catch his mate. Yes, they can go for anyone, but he will only be able to have the strength to catch his destined female and make her submit. Our wolves know who we're destined for even if we don't know ourselves in our human forms. Something will happen to prevent him from going with someone that's not meant for him. Whether that means he's just not attracted, or he gets a calling to go somewhere else. Werewolves have one mate for their lives. Only one wolf is right for them with the rare case of a second chance mate. I've never personally seen or legitimately heard of it happening, but I've read about it in books and heard from rumors. It's instinct to go for his own mate and claim her.

     Females however don't recognize their mate until her mate catches her. It's a one and done thing, and no matter what happens, the female will always somehow end up with her destined mate. She won't submit if it's not the right male. Even if it seems like all odds are against them, destined mates will end up together. Or at least that's what always happens.

     Claiming only involves the female showing submission. This is kind of like first getting to know each other for humans where you're talking with someone and you're basically involved, and then that leads to dating. The submission from a female gives her mate time to convince her that they should take the next step. The next step in "true bonding" is (if she accepts him to an extent beyond just submission) they make a mark on each other through bite. The bite is like an engagement equivalent for humans. In the end, wolves mate to consecrate the relationship. The mating bit is like marriage. It's important and extremely significant to wolves. Yes, almost all weres have premarital sex, but mating with meaning and intimacy is the real deal for weres. That's the endgame.

     The unclaimed females in my pack are forced to start competing at the age of eighteen. Everyone has to no matter what and it's a universal age to start. There are competitions like this for weres across the country, and unfortunately the one my pack "hosts" is one of the largest. Although, I'm lucky I don't have to travel anywhere to participate in the competition. Some people are monitored closely if they live in remote areas because it's easier to skip. Moving on, at twenty years old, I've been competing for two years now.

     Some of my friends look forward to this day where they can meet their beau and find true love. The difference is that I don't ever plan on being tied down to anyone. I don't care about finding my mate as selfish as that sounds. Werewolves are a mating species, and life without a mate is more difficult than any heartbreak. I believe that since I've been alone for so long, being on my own forever isn't that bad. But my mate might not think the same and for that guilt tinges my heart.