Chapter Seven

Kara

     I blink open my eyes, stretching a little. I freeze though because that's when I notice Cain is cuddled close behind me. I flip over, looking at his face. He really has striking features, but I've been too shy and in too much denial to really acknowledge it. I run my fingers along his jaw and kiss it. He lazily blinks open his eyes and smiles at me.

     "Hey," he says.

     "Hey yourself," I respond, blushing.

     He kisses my cheek. I blush even redder.

     "Thanks for being here last night," I say and look down.

     I'm ashamed he saw me that weak. God, I'm supposed to be a strong Luna capable of helping rule a pack. I'm embarrassed and angry with myself for crying because I just hate it. Crying is weakness and I've been trying to eliminate that from my life. I can't be weak and there's just no time for that shit.

     You don't have to be strong all the time, kitten. I hear a voice in my head.

     What the hell is going on? I could've sworn I heard Cain's voice in my head. It seemed like the same type of thing that happened a couple days ago. And he's the only one who uses that nickname.

     I look at Cain. He's staring right at me.

     I can hear your thoughts, kitten. We're mates and since I'm an Alpha, we have a mind link connection. He says.

     So you can hear me right now? I ask, trying it out.

     Yes. He responds.

     Wow, that's cool. I didn't know that Alphas could do that. I say, hoping to get better at it and get longer sentences too.

     It's clearer now that you're aware. He says.

     I give him a look. Clearer?

     He looks like he regrets it the minute he tells me.

     Wait...so you could hear me the whole damn time! "What the hell!" I say the last part out loud.

I sit up, hitting his shoulder. He sits up to and grabs my wrists.

     "I didn't want to tell you earlier because I didn't want you to reject me because of that connection," he confesses.

     I have to think...because I understand where he's coming from. We were on thin ice as it was. He just valued me a lot so he didn't wanna mess it up. He's so sweet-you can hear this can't you? I think. 

     He gives me a shrug. I roll my eyes, trying to hide my embarrassment.

     "Cain. As much as I seemed to hate you, I trusted you. My wolf did from the very beginning," I admit, still a bit miffed that he could hear everything I was thinking.

     "I knew that, but I wanted all of you to like me. I didn't want you to have any doubts with me, but I can feel things are getting there," he says.

     "I struggled, but you've helped just by being you," I smile a little.

     I try not to blush as he gives me a smirk.

     "Glad to know that, kitten," he says.

     "But the question is, how could I not hear your thoughts?" I ask with suspicion.

     "You're very perceptive," Cain smirks.

     I give him a raised eyebrow.

     "Okay, well, I knew that this was going to happen. It only happens to alphas where they can contact their mate through telepathy. I also have a mink link to Victor and Killian. Vic's my beta and Killian is my third. I practiced blocking thoughts from him and it's gotten good and easy. It's the same situation here as well," he admits.