Chapter Nine

Over 2k views guys, holy shittt! Thanks so much, oh my god ahh! Okay, wow, anyways sorry this is another short chapter! I know people were waiting for me to update, but I promise next chapter will be at least 2000 words. Alright here's some filler that leads into the major event so get ready! I'm hoping everyone likes everything so far:)
xo

Kara

     Something's bothering Cain. After we came and sat down, he looked uncomfortable and tense, giving stern glances to Victor. I become a bit unnerved with Victor, but then I remember their mind link and how they can communicate. It's probably just pack business. I think to myself. My attention is quickly drawn away because Emily begins a conversation.

     "I'm Emily. We met once before," she says, still nice to me after both knowing what happened last time.

     "Kara. Yeah I remember," I reply and shake her hand.

     Her handshake is weaker than I expected and I feel like I just crushed her hand. I cringe and bite my lip out of nervousness. Already making bad impressions. I think to myself.

     "It's so great to meet you properly! Victor and I were so sure about you from the very beginning and I'm glad to know we put our faith in the right person. Cain has had some problems with mates and stuff in the past, and I'm really glad he found someone for him," Emily says.

     "Past mates?" I ask, not following where she's going with this.

     "Oh no, you're definitely his one and only! He never even wanted a mate until just recently and hasn't even looked at anyone! It's just problems with another pair of mates. He feels pretty guilty about it," Emily says like I should know.

     "What's it?" I ask.

     "He never told you? It has something to do with-"

     "I can seat you over here," a waiter says.

     Cain and Vic look deep in conversation and never heard our little talk. It irks me that something big happened and I'm left in the dark. Cain snaps out of his momentary freeze and speaks up. Why do we need to be sat somewhere if we've already been shown to a nice spot?

     "We're already seated, thank you," he says.

"Yes, sir, I understand, but we've prepared a better table in a more private area. Always the best for a Briggs," the waiter says.

Oh, so you're like a celebrity, huh? I mind link him.

I'll never get used to having this connection with him. I love it.

Well, this is one of my father's favorite restaurants so they know to treat us well. Cain replies.

You're royalty in the pack but out of it as well, huh? I ask.

Yes. I hope you're okay with that? He glances at me worriedly.

Yes, of course, Cain. The money and status isn't a concern to me. All I care about here is you. I say.

He gives me one of his smiles. God, I could die a happy wolf if the last thing I saw was that smile.

"You okay?" I ask him.

     He gives me another smile and puts his hand on the small of my back while guiding me to follow the waiter. We get to a nice table set up in the corner of the room where there's optimum privacy. I like it. Cain pulls my chair out for me and sits down after I'm settled. He kisses my head sweetly. It's the third time he's kissed me.