Chapter Seventeen

52k!

Here's your update! It's another Kara chapter, but for this part of the story, it's best in her perspective. This is going to be a shorter chapter, but I'll have another update coming after this sooner than I would if this were longer.
xo

Kara

     Cain and I cuddle on the couch in comfortable silence. I love him. I love this. I love everything about where I'm at right now. I can feel my eyelids drooping as Cain lightly feathers his fingers through my hair. It feels good, but I'll be out in no time.

I groan and he laughs, knowing why.

"You're gonna put me to sleep," I warn.

"Then fall asleep. You need it," he says.

"Mkay," I say and let my eyes close.

•••

I wake with something warm behind my back. I hear Cain's steady breathing and grin. Absentmindedly, I bring my fingers up to the spot where he marked me and tenderly touch it.

     "I like seeing my mark on you," he whispers, his voice a bit raspy.

     "Mm, I like it," I say.

     He wraps me in his arms tightly and kisses my neck. He gets to his mark and gently kisses it, making me shiver. I hear him laugh behind me and turn around.

     "How long was I out?" I ask.

     "Mm, about an hour I'd say," he says.

     "An hour? Jeez," I groan, sitting up.

     "How do you feel?" he asks.

     "I'm feeling better. I probably wouldn't have fallen asleep if you hadn't put me asleep," I say.

     He fakes hurt and exasperation.

     "Me? What'd I do?" he asks.

     "Oh, c'mon, you know every girl is a sucker for getting her hair played with," I scoff.

     He just smirks.

     I laugh in incredulity and stand, stretching.

     "What do you wanna do for today? We've got time," he says, standing as well.

     "We could swim. Properly, this time, instead of getting thrown in," I say, giving him a look.

     At least he has the decency to look a little guilty. I laugh thinking back when we had the whole flour situation.

     "Okay, okay," he grins.

     "We could get Vic and Emily over here, too," I say.

    He stands, stretching and straightening out the couch.

     "Sounds like a plan. I'll grab my phone and send over a text," he says.

     "Okay, I'm gonna get changed real quick and set out some food in case they're hungry," I say and head upstairs.

     I change into a plain maroon bikini and throw on some shorts for modesty. I head downstairs and grab some towels as well. I set everything outside and come back in. I don't really hear Cain, so I walk around and try to find him.

     I hear voices coming from his or his father's office, so I head over there. I'm about to open the door when I hear something that makes me kinda freeze.

     "I told you, I'll get to it later. Things are fine right now and I'll tell her when the time is right," I hear Cain.

     He pauses, so I'm assuming the person on the other end of the phone is responding. Tell her? Tell who? And what?

     "I'm not having this conversation, Vic. Take care of the rogues and watch the pack. I'll be getting back to things when Kara's ready for me to. Things with Kara and I are going well right now..." I back away and let the conversation trail off.

     Oh phew, it's probably just something with his mom. For a second, I wondered if he was talking about keeping something from me, but he mentioned my name later and it didn't seem to relate. Plus, he'd never keep anything from me, right? We're mates and, hell, we marked each other earlier. This is like an engagement for humans.

     I open myself up to the emotions he's feeling and can sense bits of worry and guilt, but also fear. Yeah, it's probably something to do with his mom. I almost laugh and give myself away by thinking of the respect and authority his mother has over him. I decide to let him deal with it.

     "Cain," I ask, "are you in here?"

     "Yeah, come whenever...okay...bye," he says and I hear the door open.

     "Hey-wow," he says, looking me up and down.

     "Cain!" I say, playfully slapping his chest.

     "Hey, you can't blame me," he says, coming closer and putting his hands around my waist to rest at the small of my back.

     "You're incorrigible," I laugh.

     "Mm, you love it," he says, kissing my nose.

     "Mhmm, lots," I say, standing on my tip toes to kiss his lips.

     I drape my arms around his neck and he hugs me close.

     "We should get ready," I say, breaking away.

     "Ugh, knowing them, they're probably on the way already," he says.

     "I'll set up food, go get changed," I say and pull away.

     "Bossy, bossy," he laughs and makes his way to the stairs.

I grab some fruit out of the fridge and pretzels and chips. I think a day hanging out by the pool will be nice. Emily and I can get caught up on things as she always has something new to tell me.

I head outside to set the towels out and dip my feet in the water. The water's a good temperature and I can't believe I got lucky enough to have an amazing mate, but also have luxuries I could only dream of. Luxuries aside, I'll love Cain forever. Things and objects don't mean anything to me, but I would be lying if I said they weren't a nice perk.

I hear a rustling from one of the bushes by the edge of the property. With my wolf's hearing, I can pick up on things like that. The edges of Cain's property here are made up by woods. The front yard is clear and leads to a well used road, but the woods to the sides and back provides nice privacy.

     Cain isn't around yet so I decide to go over and investigate. Once I get closer, I smell the unmistakable stench of blood. That immediately gets me alert and running toward the brush.

     I cautiously make my way around the back of the bush and trees in the area and my heart falls. There's a body, bloodied and unmoving.

I rush forward to see what happened and maybe try to help the person. When I get closer, my breath is sucked out of my chest as I know who it is. I fall to my knees beside him.

"No," I whimper to myself.

I open my mouth to call for Cain, when I feel cold metal against the back of my head.

A gun.

"Don't move. Don't even breath. Make a sound and I'll blow your brains out," someone says.

I close my mouth, hoping to push fear at Cain so he'll know something's happening.

I open my mind link to send a message, but the attacker must know what my silence means I'm doing. It all happens in seconds. He hits me on the back of my head, making everything go black and leaving me falling towards the ground.
_______________________________
Ahh a cliffhanger! I'm sorry guys...I had to. A new chapter will be out sooner though so watch for updates!

So, who do you think Kara found?

Vote, comment, share, follow:)