Chapter 1: Why is he Important?

Long ago, there was a family of four. A husband, a wife and two children.
Un hijo y una hija. They got along well, and they were both musicians. They both played the guitar, but the girl sang to the songs that her older brother wrote for their familia.

As they got older, they both got married and went their separate ways, and they both had daughters. The brothers daughter's name was Socorro, or what they call her Coco. The Sister's daughter's name was Elora.

One day, the brother left to follow his dream to be a musician, and never returned. As if he was gone without anyone seeing him ever again.

The sister was saddened about her brother's departure, but instead of grieving, she told her daughter stories about her Hermano everyday so that she won't forget him. One day, the sister fell ill, and died a few days after.

As the daughter grew up, she had married and had children of her own. And her children had children of their very own, however, peace did not last for them for long. Each time a family member got sick, they would die after a few days prior.

"And that was the same fate as mí Madre, Sofía Velez, had went through when I was just turning 4. I still remember her clearly, but I kinda don't remember the stories she told me, just bits and pieces of them and their names, like Cousin Carlos, Papá Luís, Mama Luna, Papá Alejandro, Cousin Rosita, Cousin and Mamá Isabella, they both shared the same name somehow, Papá Mateo, Mamá Valentina, Papá Ruben, Cousin Mariana, Papá José, Mamá Andrea, Papa Juan, Mamá Alanna, Cousin Felípe, Papá Diego, Mamá Elora, Papá Ricardo, and finally, Mamá María. She's my great great grandmother!" A little girl had told her family story to a slightly older teenager who was older her by 5 years. Her name was Juanita Flores, she was a feisty teenager but has a tender heart when it comes to kids who are younger than her. She had black hair, light dark skin, and has green eyes, she was wearing a dress and helping out the little one by putting up flowers and gently lighting up some of the candles.

The child's name is Camila Velez. She's the last of the Velez family. She's 7 years old and an orphan. She has pure jet black hair with brown eyes, her skin was a tanned brown, and she was wearing a dress that hid her feet, she wore sandals a lot. This year, just like every year, She was putting up all of her family's pictures up on the ofrenda table for El Día de los Muertos.

The Day of the Dead! Everyone in Santa Cecilia celebrates it every year at October 31 and then it ends at November 2.

"They say if you put up the pictures of your lost loved ones, their spirits will come and visit you for one night until sunrise and when Día de los Muertos ends, you see them next year as long as you remember them!" Camila said as she gently put up her families photos on her very own shrine.

"You do know it's just something that adults tell you to do it right? It's not real." Juanita said as she looked at her while fixing her dress.

"You may not believe in that, Nita, but I do! Mí Madre y Padre, Sebastián Velez, would tell me that all the time! But Mí Padre had passed away when I was only 4, right after my mother did." She replied the teen by her nickname.

"I hope wherever they are, they are happy together. I still have a picture of them together on their wedding day! Mama was so pretty!" She said as she gently pulled out the picture of her parents on their wedding day, smiling and happy together and showed it to her friend, and she was right, her mother was quite beautiful.

As the two girls were preparing Camila's ofrenda, a woman called out to them. "Camila! Juanita! Could you come over here Por favor?" She asked the two girls with an angelic voice.

"Sí! Coming señorita Tessa!" They replied at the same time as Camila gently put up ella Madre y Padre's photo on the ofrenda, and walked to where Mrs. Tessa was with her older friend. .