Chapter 3: The Second Year

Hey! Sorry I haven't put this chapter up. It's just things got in the way and my sister graduated so, give me a break here okay? Anyway, here is Chapter 3 of The Other Family!

Enjoy!!

__________________________________

When they had come back from the land of the living, they both went their separate ways for a little while for María had told him that he was always welcome to the Velez house, Héctor had thanked his sister, wrote down the address of the house, and he went to Chicharrón, split his other cookie, Sugar skulls and tamales with him, and blabbered to his friend about his visit all night. Chicharrón never once interrupted him.

Over the course of the year Héctor had felt stronger, brighter, better. His bones were a little whiter and he stood straighter.

He felt remembered.

It was such a wonderful feeling, being remembered again, Coco must have been telling stories about him to Miguel, and maybe others in the family. He had hoped that if Mrs. Tessa continued telling stories about him, since he knew her great great grandfather.

When the next Dia de los Muertos came Héctor felt ready for it. He had his jacket and clothes patched up by his friend, who is a seamstress , and for the first time in years. He actually tried to clean and groom himself for the visit. In the pouch on his hip, a tiny notebook with only a handful of pages left and worn out pencil that had nearly been sharpened to its very end sat, ready to write down family names and keep track of everyone.

Undeniably there was that fear in the back of his head, that his photo wouldn't be put up again, that last year was just a spoof, but he approached the Santa Cecelia gate nonetheless. He stood before the machine, smiling sheepishly before it, his nerves shot as he waited for the verdict.

Then, that wonderful dinging happened again.

"Your photo is on your great, great grandniece's ofrenda." The gatekeeper smiled at him, happy to see Héctor's luck on the rise. "Have a wonderful visit!"

He eagerly thanked her and made his way to the bridge, practically skipping across it. Only a handful of other skeletons were making their way to Santa Cecelia this early, Héctor wanted to be there as soon as possible. He easily followed the marigold path to the hacienda, remembering where to go from last year and entered the courtyard without caution. Like last year, people hustled and bustled about, though more of them were in the kitchen putting the final touches on the night's feast.

Héctor wandered around, looking for Coco and noting the differences in everyone from last year. The kids a bit taller, his other great, great grandson having gone through a growth spurt over the year, and the adults a bit older, he noted one woman, one of Miguel's tía's if he remembered correctly, was pregnant, meaning more great, great grandchildren. He finally found Coco in the ofrenda room sitting quietly by herself. She greeted him softly, knowing he was there, and he greeted her back. He sat next to her a prattled on about whatever he was thinking, just wanting to talk to her, tell her everything that had happened while they had been apart.

When she was wheeled over to the dinner table he followed and sat near, listening to the conversation and stories shared, and Miguel quietly asking Coco if her papá was here again. Héctor scribbled down names and family relations in the notebook until he heard Imelda's voice and wandered off to find María and the others to go see Camila again, wondering if she changed at all and also curious as to what was there this year.

Eventually he found them and they all went together, knowing the way already. And to their luck, Camila was there in the Ofrenda room all by herself and humming a little tune. More candles were lit this time when they visited the ofrenda; More marigolds were scattered around everywhere around and on the ofrenda table, a whole lot more food, he was thankful that his sister had made him a basket so he can carry the food on the way back. On the front of his and María's photo was a tiny sugar skull, sweet bread, and an apple, yet again the two sugar skull and bread were slightly stale but Héctor was happy to have it. Behind the picture on his side he noticed a letter. Now he looked closer, he noticed that there were letters addressed to all of them! Including one for her mother and father!