Chapter 5: The Day They Meet

Disclaimer: I do not own Coco or the characters in Coco, only Camila, Juanita, and everyone else, they're mine along with the story plot.

With that out of the way, enjoy Chapter 5!!!

_______________________________

Miguel just couldn't believe his luck this years holiday, not only was he caught shining shoes at the plaza by his family, but they had seen him shining a Mariachi's shoes of all things and holding his guitar.

He had only half listened to the scolding from his family, having heard it all before. But when he tried to convince them to let him go to the music competition, reworded as a "talent" competition, it backfired very quickly and he ended up being dragged to the ofrenda room. He listened to his abuelita tell him things he already knew about the holiday, and felt very defensive when she shushed him about merely mentioning his great, great grandfather's existence, even though she was the one to bring him up first. All the more reason of why his silly little idea he had last month to tell the family about Papá Héctor and his stories wouldn't have worked. Why could he tell them when they would not listen? Oh how he wished someone would have listened to him for once.

Mamá Coco was suddenly distraught by the mention of her father, asking if he was home. She must have forgotten how she said that her papá was home just about 3 years ago at Día de los Muertos. It was a sad thought for Miguel, but he had an opening to sneak away when his abuelita turned to comfort her and he took it.

Just as he was about to go to his hideout, he paused for a moment to hear something playing softly but it was so clear for the 12 year old boy at least. He knew that sound anywhere but he didn't want to believe it, taking one last look at where his hideout is, he followed where the music was coming from. He was walking for a few minutes until he found where the music was coming from. It was girl that was sitting on a box, all looked normal.... Except for the fact that she was playing a guitar! He stood there in awe for a while now, he gently yet quietly listened to the girl, who looked like she was 2 years younger than him, playing soft music. Once she was done, he gently walked up to her. "Holá!" He said softly, but when he said that, the girl yelped in surprise and got up from the box and looked at him.

'Ay no... I hope I didn't startle her too badly for her not to play anymore.'

Earlier on that Day:

Camila was walking around the town, this time with a white shirt with marigold flower designs on them, an orangish, golden yellow colored long skirt, that his her legs except her feet, a new pair of brown Sandals that Señorita Tessa got her for a present, and a navy blue cardigan with a hoodie and pockets..

As normal, she went to get more cempasuchil flowers since they're almost running out for this year's Día de Los Muertos. One of the orphans named Diego, he was younger than her by only a year and a half. He wore glasses, small and dark freckles that adorned his cheeks, his skin was slightly lighter than Camilas and had dark brown hair. He wore a simple red T-shirt, some pants and shoes that he got from the Rivera family. They were at the Plaza where they were watching people put up the festivities for the Music Competition this year while waiting for Juanita. The 9 ½ year old boy looked at his friend. "So, are you going to do it?" He asked, making the 10 year old look at him. "What are you talking about mí amigo?" She asked softly with slight confusion while each of them were holding a basketful of Marigold flowers and holding a bouquet of them in the other.

That question made Diego roll his eyes. "You know what I'm talking about! Playing at the music competition! You're great at the guitar!" He replied as he gently put down the bouquet inside the basket. Camila blushed in nervousness and messed the hem of her cardigan. "What? Oh no. No, no, no, no! I couldn't! Señorita Tessa would need my help! Plus I have other stuff to do than just play music for people in the Plaza." She said as she looked at the Orangish golden yellow flowers that she held gently yet in a tight grip. "Oh really? And what would this "Other stuff" that you would be doing?" Diego asked with a smug smile, while doing air quotations in front of her and was waiting for what her reply was.