Chapter 2

Derrick

I stared at the ceiling. I've been awake for hours now, having another restless night. If I sleep, I see her. Her face. Every time I see her face and its the same expression. Not of her laughing or smiling or even when she looks at me lovingly. It's full of hurt, the tears in her eyes, and the first time I saw it, it broke my heart.

I got out off bed. I was in a quiet little town. I arrived yesterday to look at a potential business, a possible competitor.

Kyle had told me of this little restaurant out here that he and his girlfriend had found. He said the food was delicious and very high end.

He told me that it was a hit with the regulars and locals and I had to go check it out myself.

So I went for the long drive out to the little town. I booked in a small cottage bed and breakfast and after a shower and a fresh set of clothes, I headed to the restaurant.

I stood outside and assessed the building. It had the structure of an old house. It was quite fitting to be honest, out here, in a small town, not quite the countryside. I looked at the sign and smiled. Very simple.

The Cottage

I opened the door and walked inside. I saw someone at the entrance and she offered me a table.

I sat and looked around. The place wasn't overly busy. "The waitress will be with you shortly." The lady said. I nodded my thanks and looked at the menu. Cocking an eyebrow I read the mains.

Still very simple. Everything was 'family meals', what people cook at home. Kyle did say that the food was basic. But he also said it was good.

I noticed a short round young lady walking towards me. "Hello sir, I'm sorry about the wait. I'm Sarah and I'll be your waitress tonight."

I ordered myself a glass of red wine and a medium steak with mushroom cream.

The waitress wrote down the order and left the table. She returned seconds later with a glass of red wine.

I continued to survey the menu. The prices were family friendly too.

I sat back as I waited, going through my phone. I assessed the area and came across the restaurant on google maps.

It's reviews were outstanding. Not a single complaint. Everyone praised about the prices and the quality of the food.

I rang Kyle.

"Hey. I'm at the restaurant you recommended."

"Do you like?"

I looked around me. "There is no way we could go in competition. The customers here are to loyal to the owner."

"Have you met the owner?" Kyle asked. "They weren't in when Suzie and I went."

"I haven't met them yet, I'll seek them out when I finish dinner though. But whoever they are, they have the perfect set up here. Out of town, but not too far, excellent service, really good prices." The restaurant was only a 40 minute drive from the city borderline, but nearly two hours from my place.

"Don't forget the food is high end restaurant quality."

"I think I'll make an offer to this owner. If I can't get them, then maybe the chef."

"I think the restaurant would be better."

"Gotta go." I hung the phone up and thanked the waitress.

The steak was cooked to perfection. The vegetables were fresh and the mash potato had a nice consistency. I cut out another piece of steak and dipped it in the mushroom cream. It was divine.

For a thirty dollar meal, it was huge. At my restaurant, this meal and size would set some one back nearly a hundred dollars.

If my lower end clientele get wind of this place, I'll be out a few hundred every week. Maybe that's where I've been going wrong. Maybe I've been too focused on my high end customers, instead of the middle and lower class.

I had eaten all my dinner and as soon as I placed my cutlery down, the waitress returned. "Would you like some dessert?" I thought about it but decided not to.

"Is the owner in?"

The waitress shook her head. "Not right now, sorry."

"Would you know when she will be in?"

The girl shook her head. "No sorry."

I paid for my food and left. It was very high quality food. How could they possibly run at a profit?

I went back to my car and drove to the bed and breakfast.

I flipped my shoes off and sat on the bed. After she left me, I had lost all interest in my business. I even got my father in to help Kyle. But when Kyle told me about The Cottage, I was intrigued.

He had pitched a new idea that we could begin with home cooked meals. The restaurant gave him ideas and I didn't blame him.

All other ideas he had pitched me didn't fancy me a bit. He even told me I should start dating again! I didn't appreciate that idea.

Now I thought since I was brimming with ideas I could sleep properly. But even my damn sleeping tablets didn't keep me asleep. I still see her broken face.

The sun had only been up for less then an hour and I got dressed. Laying on this bed in this small room was making me claustrophobic.

I left my room and went for a walk. It was quite early but people were about. I saw an elderly couple walking their dog, a jogger ran past me and nodded as he passed.

There were a group of teenagers in school uniforms by a park waiting at a bus stop. I came to an intersection and looked for cars before crossing. Down the road to my left was the town centre, lined with old buildings full of shops. I thought of going to the bakery for a hot pie when I felt like I was getting bowled over.

I fell to the ground, feeling highly annoyed, I couldn't even see anything, something was licking my face. I pulled the hairy dog off me. Then I frowned when I saw her collar.

"Gemma?"

The dog wagged her tail, sitting there licking me. I got up and looked for her tag.

Gemma

"Oh my God, look at you!" I hugged her as she did her dog cry.

"Get back here Gemma!"

My eyes widen. If this was Gemma, then...

I turned and saw her. She still looked so beautiful. A bit thin than the last time I saw her. But still so beautiful.

Then it all clicked. The restaurant, the food. It was so familiar to me. I stood upright and let Gemma's collar go.

"Terra."

And.... Derrick has found Terra

What do you think will happen?

I'm intrigued 👀

Voting is highly recommended!

Please share on twitter. Facebook if you can or don't have Twitter.

Laters

🤘