Chapter 11

Terra

Derrick stayed Friday night on the couch and I didn't get a wink of sleep. The sunrise was coming and I got out off bed and pulled on some leggings and a singlet. I did up my shoes up and snuck out of my room. I saw the lump on my couch, fast asleep, I hope. Gemma was under my feet as I went out the back door. Gemma followed as I ran. I ran as fast as I could.

I ran from my house, from Derrick and the problems in there. I know now that Derrick didn't cheat, but I was so angry. I had been all week. I was angry at myself. I didn't stay to find the real truth. I wasted a year of my life over this. Now Derrick's back, trying to get me back. Why am I refusing him?

I just want to be in his arms, so why am I resisting?

I finally stopped running and found myself at the edge of town. I took a couple deep breaths as I stared at the empty road ahead. It lead to home. My real home. The city I lived in before here.

"Come, girl." I said to Gemma as we walked back. My head was swimming with thoughts as I tried to work out my predicament. It was over an hour before I got back home.

I had to talk to him. Derrick needed to know. I'm still his wife, and he is still trying to win me back, he needs to know how I feel.

But when I got back home, Derrick's car was gone. I went through the back door, which thankfully, Derrick left unlocked. I walked in to my room and took my shoes off. I saw the blanket Derrick used, folded at the end of my bed.

I went for a hot shower and got dressed for the day. I brushed my hair up into a ponytail, plaited it and knotted it into a bun as I slipped on my work shoes.

*****

As the days rolled by, I pushed any and all thoughts of Derrick away and went to my restaurant and started my day. It was just another ordinary Monday and I was busy in helping the cooks before opening when Alexis came in.

"Terra. There's some one here wanting to see you."

I looked at her. I was about to tell her to send Derrick away, that I'm too busy, but he would have just marched in. I washed my hands and dried them on my apron as I walked out to the dining area.

An older male stood there, waiting patiently for me. I went straight to him with a smile on my face. "Can I help you?"

"Mrs Caine?"

I didn't correct him, I was unsure if I should have, as everyone here knows me as a Howard, not a Caine. "Yes."

"These are for you."

I took the envelope out of his hand and thanked him. The male left the restaurant as I walked to my office. I sat down on my chair, intrigued by the thick letter.

I opened it and pulled the papers out. My heart stopped. What the hell? Was this a joke? I stared at what was in front of me.

*****

It took a while for me to calm down after that envelope and it even made me have difficulties with sleeping.

Waking restless on Tuesday morning did my mood no good. I got up and tried to have a coffee, but I couldn't finish it.

I patted Gemma's head as I walked past her and got dressed.

That's it, I decided. I'm going there. I pulled on some leggings and a cotton flannel shirt. I slipped in some wedges and called Gemma. I locked up the house and Gemma and I took the two hour drive to confront Derrick.

I haven't been here for over a year. I thought the drive would cool my engines, but the closer I got to Derrick, the angrier I felt.

It was nearly 10am when I pulled in to the familiar car park. I left the window down as I stormed inside through the back delivery door.