Chapter 16

Derrick

I drove Terra back to my place, as she requested and let her in to our house.

The doctor said she could talk, but to take it easy.

"Would you like a drink?" I asked.

Terra shook her head and dropped to the ground as Gemma ran up to her.

"I'm just gonna have a bath." Terra whispered. She dropped her phone on the bench and walked up the stairs.

I went to the kitchen and started making pumpkin soup.

Terra appeared when I finished up, dishing up a bowl for her. I had been so attentive to her. I lost her once a year ago, and nearly forever just two days ago.

I never want to feel that again.

We spent the evening in quietness. It was when we went to bed that Terra surprised me.

"Come with me." She croaked as she took my hand. I looked at her in surprise as she smiled. We went to our marriage bed and she sat in her old spot. I know it was only three days ago the last time she was here, but it felt like an eternity.

Terra handed me a letter and the large envelope.

I unfolded the paper. It was the one she wrote on at the hospital.

My eyes scanned the writing, it was atrocious but it was readable.

Derrick
There is so much I want to say but the main thing is I'm sorry.

Everything I thought was important didn't matter now.

I now know everything in the past year led me back to you.

In a way I'm happy I'm still married to you.

I thought I was happy but it had been so long that I forgot what it really felt like.

I'm happy with you.

I always will be.

I looked up to the woman I love. She was staring at me, a small smile on her face as she motioned for me to open the large envelope.

It was her will. I looked back at her.

"Read it."

I read it carefully. Her money went to Kayla. Her house went to Ellie. A lot of it was for Terra's family. Then I saw The Cottage. I frowned. I looked at the date. This was done up five months ago, well before I came back.

"You were going to leave the restaurant to me?" I asked, touched by the thought.

Terra nodded.

"Even if it was fifty years later, and you found someone and a family with them?"

Terra smiled as she held her throat. "That would not have happened."

I felt my heart speed up.

"I was angry with. And I needed time. You are the love of my life."

I placed my hands on her face and kissed her. Terra wrapped her arms around my neck.

I held her tight to me as we got heavy. My emotions got the best of me.