Chapter 7

Terra

Why was I in bed? I looked around my room. Gemma wasn't in bed.

I got up and as I left my room, I smelt the wonderful aromas.

Derrick.

That's right. He came over and we fought. I'm still married to the sneaky bastard.

There he was, sitting at the table, Gemma asleep by his feet.

"Why are you still here?" I asked as I made myself a glass of water. My slow cooker was out and I noticed a casserole was cooking.

"To make sure you are fine." Derrick looked at me. I swallowed the water and placed the glass in the sink.

"I'm fine." Came my snappy tone but in reality, I wasnt. Not really, I still felt drained, emotionally drained.

"Terra," Derrick had started but I stopped him.

"No. I don't want to talk. I don't want to fight. I just want to be left alone."

"Well, today's not your lucky day." Derrick muttered and fixed up his paper work. "But we still need to finish our chat."

I closed my eyes and inhaled. Of course he does. "Will you let me be if we do?"

Derrick smiled and shrugged. I wanted to scream at him but what was the point, he won't listen. I lifted the lid of the slow cooker and stirred the casserole around. Apricot chicken. My mouth started to water.

I sat at the opposite side to Derrick as he pushed his work to one side. I looked down at the paperwork when something caught my eyes. I snatched it out from him.

"These are mine!" I gasped as I got them.

"Yes. I'm very curious on how you are making a profit!"

I scowled at him and reorganised the papers.

"None of you business. You can't just come in here, all high and mighty, and start going through my documents."

"Well, technically, ours."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why didn't you just sign the divorce papers?" I sighed.

"Whether I did or not, I would still be here right now."

Why did he have to keep cornering me?

"I want to work things out. I want to bring you back home. I was planning on it anyway." There was that damn smirk!

"No. I'm happy here."

Derrick pointed to the bedrooms. "With what? A constant reminder?"

That stung. "You're that constant reminder!" I flung back as I saw him flinch.

"You're gonna come back home sooner or later, so let's cut the bullshit in the middle."

"Fine." I stood my ground. Derrick was surprised with my response, but he also knew my glare and didn't relish in another of his small victories.

"You want honesty? I'll give you honesty." I sat back on the chair, crossing my arms. "I'll tell you everything."

"Thank you." Derrick grumbled at me.

"You cheated, Derrick." I saw the way he recoiled at those words. "I ran to you for help." Now Derrick looked confused. "I ran to my husband for help. But I found that, that, that woman, just about naked, sitting on your lap. Kissing you. Your hands all over her. So while I was protecting myself, you were with her."

"What do you mean, protecting yourself?" Derrick asked as I watched his top lip curl.

I stared into his dark eyes as he thought it over. Then he stood up suddenly, the chair falling out from under him. The look of murder on his face. I felt my heart pounding faster in my chest.

"Jonathan." Was all he said. "Terra, what did he do?" Derrick snarled.

I looked at my fingers, I saw the slight shake in them. "He didn't do much."

"That's not helping." Derrick gritted his teeth. "What did he do to you?"

"He didn't do much." I repeated myself. "He kissed me and I pushed him away and kneed him. That was it. Don't try and turn this on me." With the look on Derrick's face, there was no need to go in to full detail.

I saw how angry he looked as he slammed his open hands on the table, making me jump. "Yet, if I saw that, I would have punched him and stood by your side."

"But I didn't have sex with him!" I shrieked as I also stood. My hands on the table as I stared at him.

"I didn't sleep with her."

I scoffed. "Your hands were on her."

"I listened to you, now you can do the same."

I clenched my jaw. It was fair. But I didn't want to hear him say it.

"You walked in as I went to push her off."

"Bullshit. I saw the way she looked at you." I begged myself not to cry. I sat back down.

"What, just because she throws a few lustful looks and you think I'll jump in bed with her?"

"Who was the last person you have slept with?" I asked calmly, not letting my voice waiver.

"What?" Derrick frowned. "What's that got to do with anything?"

"From when you met me to right now. Who was the last person you fucked?"

"You!" Derrick roared. "It's only has and always was just you. It still is!"

I widened my eyes and gasped. Why did I let my mouth take control?

We sat in the uncomfortable silence staring at each other.

"You didn't sleep with her." I said more to myself then to Derrick.

"No."

So this whole time, I had accused him of cheating. I looked away as Derrick went to the kitchen bench.

He dished out two bowls of apricot chicken and brought them over with forks.

I stared in my bowl for a long time before I excused myself and walked out the front door.

"Terra?"

But I ignored him. I just walked. I turned at the end of my drive way and just kept walking.

The sun was getting low and the town was bathed in a glorious gold colour.

For over a year, I had accused him of cheating. The same thing happened to him that happened to me. We were both played.

I sat on the bench and just stared off. So what now? Twenty minutes ago I knew I am still married to him, but I couldn't make up with him, thinking he had an affair. It would leave doubt in my mind and I didn't want that.

But now, I wasn't so sure. I didn't know what to do.

I sighed in frustration, this whole year I had built a new life for myself. I had my own little restaurant. I had thought I moved on.

This year was built on a lie.

So... What do we think.

Should Terra go back to Derrick?

Should she continue on with her new life?

Next chapter is up

Vote and comment.

Thank you 😁