1.

3 years ago...

Samantha walked the halls aimlessly, looking for her brother but found no sign of him anywhere. Her heart beat increased and felt like it was about to pound straight out of her chest and onto the floor. Her feet made small steps, taking precaution as to not draw too much attention to herself this late. 

Jasper, her trouble maker brother, had left their room and broken curfew with his friend. They weren't supposed to go out past a certain time, the rules were very strict where she lived. If they were caught, they'd be put to death once they turned 18. Samantha let out a long sigh as she tried to steady her breathing. 

Her mind thought of the worst outcomes as to where he would be. Finally, after starting to panic more, she whispered out his name, "Jasper! Jasper?" She called, hearing her own voice echo down the empty corridor. 

There was no answer.

"This isn't funny, brother.. We need to be getting home, we are not allowed to be out this late." She yelled, still no more than a whisper. If they were caught, they would be shown no mercy and Samantha was not letting another one of her family members get hurt. Jasper was 3 years younger than Samantha, so she was his older sister. Not by blood though, married in. It was a weird exception that The Ark (their home) allowed. 

Ever since Jasper's dad and Samantha's Mom got together, she felt responsible for him and keeping him out of trouble. Especially after his father was floated. Only parent either one of them had left was her mom, who technically is now Jasper's stepmother. Ever since diapers they were friends. Then, their parents got married when Jasper was 6 and Samantha was 9. The both of them are so close, joined at the hip. They share a sibling love even though they are not blood. Family is family and above all else. 

Samantha rounded the corner of the long hallway, now reaching the medical unit. If she was caught in here it would look like she was stealing and they would arrest her. Samantha turns 18 in one week time, which means she would be floated for her actions. To her, the risk right now is worth it in case Jasper is in danger.

"Jasp-" Her sentence was cut short when a boy burst out of medicals double doors, running into her chest full on. He stumbled back, his his traveling from fear to a sort of lesser fear when he noticed what he just bumped into. "Oh.." He whispered, clutching something in his arms tightly.  

Samantha's eyes narrowed at the boy when she noticed who it was. Her eyes traveled down to what he was carrying..a plant. "Jasper, no freaking way!!" She said, raising her voice. "I can't believe how stupid you are. I know Monty is here too, so just come out now." Her hands were flailing in the arm as she prepared herself for yet another lecture on the seriousness of their actions. How dumb could they be?

A younger boy rounds the corner, holding his hands up in the air. "Sammy.. I can explain. We-we uh just wanted some fun, you know." He winced slightly by her cold expression, so he kept on trying to smooth things over. "You remember fun don't you? We use to play games and pretend we were on the Earth." He joked, nudging her. 

Samantha's face held the frustration as she glanced between both of the idiots. Both of them were like family to her, Jasper more than Monty but she wanted to protect both. She bit her bottom lip, thinking over her words carefully. It was no use because the anger flowed out of her before she could calm down. 

"You call this fun?" Samantha yelled, getting a little too loud. This caused Jasper to quickly step closer to her in hopes to keep her calm. His eyes were wide as he held his free hand out towards her mouth. "Jasper, don't..I am responsible for you and you're not making my life easy.."