Ch 20

(Lucy POV)

"Okay, another question, have you both ever thought of marriage?"

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Huh?

"What do you mean?" I asked.

This was getting ridiculous, I came here to visit my sick mother, and all she does is ask questions about Natsu and I's relationship.

"Hahahahahaha! I got you there didn't I! Haha, *cough*cough*" Mom started loudly coughing, making Natsu and I grow worried.

I spotted her tea beside her and handed it over. She drank it quickly and stopped coughing, making me sigh in relief.

She almost gave me a heart attack...

"As I was saying, I was only kidding about that marriage thing, you silly children, but I wouldn't be against it. You are both young and in love, there's nothing stopping you." She explained, "And Lucy, I know how much that job means to you, but let me be you're mother once more, and give you my advice?"

I sighed through my nose and nodded, waiting for what she has to say.

"You both are keeping your relationship a secret, am I correct?"

Natsu and I nodded.

"Right, well maybe it was time you let the world know. This is love, there are no boundaries to it. But, it's up to the both of you to decide. It doesn't matter how long you've known each other, the heart wants what it wants. Live every day like you're gonna die tomorrow, you only have one life, you might as well enjoy it. Never forget that." Her smile reappeared on her beautiful, slightly aged face.

"And besides, I would love to see you get married before I pass. The doctors said I have about three months..." And she stopped smiling.

A few moments of silence passed.

Natsu looked like he was about to say something, but I beat him to it, "Can we change the subject?"

"Of course."

I thought for a moment, and realized something.

"Is Sting coming?" I questioned.

"Yes, he said he'd be able to come over tomorrow, he's just really busy right now, I'm sorry you won't be able to see him, dear."

"Oh, that's too bad, I would have liked to see him." I responded, disappointment laced through my voice.

Natsu and I sat there beside my mother all day giving her company and talking to her, until we had to leave, for it was getting fairly late.

———

(Normal POV)

At exactly 10:24pm, Natsu and Lucy walked out of the Heartfilia mansion. Lucy was trying her best not to cry, but she can't help the tears welling up in her eyes. Of course, she has the right to be sad, how could she be happy right now?

Natsu put his jacket over her shoulders and pulled her close to keep her warm, and also to comfort her the best he can, but she didn't even notice.

It was pretty chilly out, the sky had darkened making the trees look like monsters reaching for the sky, and the wind was fairly cold too.

The only sound was the wind blowing through the leaves of the trees, and the couples' shoes making clicking sounds in the pavement as they reached the car.