8. Between life and death

It's been a month since he told me to go and since then, things has changed. Much. Again. I've became more colder than I ever been and Sara left me alone with my reign over Meridial. My people felt it and became frightened of me. But that didn't bother me much. Sophia became quiet in the dungeons, but was still alive. Sara started to become distracted with a man I didn't know. I just wanted her to be happy and if she was happy then that's good for me.

Another day on the throne passed and the night arrived. Just when I was about to go to the lake of grace, which was saved by Sara before not only the lake but the land would freeze, I felt a portal opening. I sighed in frustation and shaked my head before continuing my walk to the lake.

When I arrived I sat down infront of it and looked around. No one was to be seen. With my hand that I put in the water I felt magic returning. I smiled.

[2016; New Orleans]

After school, I wandered through the Quarter, curiously looking around. Things changed. The family who took me in after the accident was nice, but it wasn't home. So I 'escaped' whenever I had the chance to. I often wandered lost through the woods or the Quarter and tried new things. When I turned around, standing in the middle of the street, I've heard somebody screaming. I didn't notice the car that approached me in a dangerously high tempo, but I noticed when somebody grabbed me and pulled me from the street.

I looked up to the man whose face wasn't unfamiliar to me. But I couldn't really put it to a memory. "You should be more careful, love. Things get bad easily here." His accent stuck in my head and I nodded, still confused what just happend. "Thank you." I whispered and he smiled at me for a few seconds before he disappeared into the crowd again.

[2012, unknown]

My Mom, Dad, Sara and I drove back home from some family visit, but suddenly Dad lost control over the car and the next thing I knew was the screams of my little scared sister and my mother's when our car stood on it's top. Suddenly, a green and blue-ish glow surrounded us when my mother screamed her lungs out in pain. And in that moment I knew that Dad was gone. Sara was unconscious and had cuts all over her face and arms. "Mom?" I whispered weakly. She turned around to us the best she could and looked at me with a her other eyes. They glowed. "It's gonna-- be okay. It's-- It's going to be alright." She stuttered, shocked that she lost her other half. She took my and Sara's hand and moments later we were infront of the car. I didn't question that this was my mothers doing. My mom's eyes went all green before she inhaled the air.

"Promise me something, Olivia." She turned to me after she laid Sara on the street, still unconscious. She took my face in her bloody hands and I nodded. I was too shocked to actually speak. "You must find the key, darling and you must take care of your sister. You must find the key to your heart. Promise me." She said and her skin began to get cold. Too cold. "You're... You're not making any sense, Mom. What key?" I stuttered the words, but also didn't realise at the same time that my eyes were glowing too.

"Promise me, Olivia! The time has come for me to go." She said and she began to sob again. Then she grunted in pain. "I promise... What's happening? Mom!?" I called for her, but her skin was all cold now and her eyes went back to normal.

Then, she and Sara disappeared into a big green fog, leaving me standing alone. "I love you, Olivia. Never forget that." Her voice echoed through my head.

Looking back at the car with my dead father I began to run through the woods. I was sobbing and stumbling. I fell over and then laid on the muddy ground, crying until I was too tired. I rolled myself together and closed my eyes. I wanted it to be the last time.

[2028; present, Meridial]

I opened my eyes at the memories and began to cry. Suddenly, it was too much. Everything was too much. I just didn't want to handle it anymore. That's where I broke down. I pulled the necklace from my neck and thew it onto the ground.

Not only did someone appear who I thought was gone, but I also felt a portal opening and closing. "Hello Olivia. Ready for your death?" Ruby whispered behind me and I stopped breathing for a few seconds.

Then I felt a cold blade thrusting in my chest and the warm blood running down my body. "NO!" I suddenly heard them yelling. I fell back to the ground. The water of the lake tried to heal me, but it didn't work. Two people rushed to my side and from the corner of my eye I could see Sara and Freya fighting Ruby with their magic.

I felt arms wrapping around my body. "Please, don't die. Please..." the voice of my love whispered pleading and I looked up to him, while Hope tried to heal me. Even with using the water of the lake of grace. "Nik..." I whispered surprised and he nodded. "It's going to be okay. I promise. I won't--" He couldn't speak further but I understood. Hope put the necklace back around my neck and I felt that he lifted me up. Klaus, with me in his arms, went into the lake, hoping that it would heal me completely.

My heartbeat slowed down and my breath went faster with the time. I felt like I was hardly getting any breath. "Nik." I said and he tucked my hair behind my ears. "I love you. You must know that. No matter- No matter what'll come- I'll always love you." I said stuttering. "Please don't leave me." He said with tears rolling down his cheeks. "I love you." I repeated. "I- I wish to be accepted... from my brothers and sisters..." I stuttered quietly. I squeezed Klaus hand one more time before flashing my eyes.

My soul went into the endless garden of life and death, and there, I met my mother who simply stared at me. "No, no, no, no! You can't be... You can't be dead!" She yelled and other ghosts suddenly appeared. "I tried, Mom. But I didn't saw it coming and I... died in the arms of my first love and it's okay. I'm not afraid anymore." I whispered and she sobbed slightly. The ghosts looked in fascination at me. "This is not how your reign should've ended. This is not the end, Olivia." One of them said and stepped forward.

"If you want, we'll give you the strength to end it. To finally end it. But for you to win against Ruby, you must be like her. You must embrace your darkness." They said.

"Or, you could pass on the throne to your sister, Sara, and go back to your other half. Live with him on Earth, like you've always wanted it. You could live your life to the fullest, Olivia." They tried to make me choose between what I want and what I had to do. "What if I want to defeat Ruby and then pass the throne on to my sister? Sara isn't strong enough to kill her on her own." I argued. "You aren't either. You'll need help. And we are best chance you have. Rely on us and we will help. Step down from the throne and pass it on to Sara if you want to." An older woman said and stepped forward. Mom looked in shock at her. "Hello Grandma." I whispered and she took my hand in hers. "You are a Hale! Don't you ever forget that! Now go. Whatever you choose, you won't lose. You've come a long way for losing now." She said and a genuine smile appeared on her face.

When she let go of me I felt something happening. The magic of my ancestors now rushed in my veins and I looked around when the darkness began to lighten up. But the new found darkness in my soul was more present than ever.