Chapter 10

Shawn

"Oh shit!" Mallory exclaimed as she looked down.

I had no idea what was going on, but then I saw the small puddle of fluid gathering at her bare feet. My first thought was that she'd peed herself, but then it clicked that her water broke.

I jumped up in a panic and grabbed her by the elbows. "The baby? It's coming!?" I managed to get out.

Mallory gulped. "Yes, but I haven't even had a contraction yet."

"Okay. Okay. Okay. We're fine. You're fine. It's all fine," I said anxiously as I grabbed the back of my neck. "What do we do?"

This was my first labor experience. I'd fucked up and had missed it last time, so I was totally unprepared for this.

"I'm going to go change. Can you clean this up?" Mal asked.

"Yeah, of course."

"I'll call the doctor. You should call Aaliyah right now. She just left, so maybe she could get back here to watch Gracie until your parents get here."

"Yup. Sounds good. I'll call Aaliyah and my parents and clean up."

"Shawn, sweetie, take a few deep breaths. It's okay."

I did as she said and inhaled and exhaled deeply several times. I kind of felt like a jackass for flipping out when she was the one about to give birth, but I couldn't help it.

"I'm fine," I said as I pulled out my phone and started making the calls.

                              ~~~~~~

"You're already six centimeters dilated," Dr. Abbott said after examining Mallory. "I thought your last labor was fast. You may top it this time."

My wife was handling everything like a pro. We'd gotten to the hospital pretty quickly. Mallory's contractions started soon after her water broke, but she did breathing exercises to get through them. I held her hand and encouraged her, but I wished I could take on some of the pain. It was hard watching her suffer every five minutes.

My parents texted that they'd gotten to our condo to relieve my sister. Grace was awake and they'd told her that Mama and Daddy were at the hospital. I talked to her briefly, and she seemed pretty chill with it all. She was probably happy to get spoiled by grandma and grandpa.

"It's crazy that I went into labor right after a baby shower again," Mal said between contractions. "What are the odds?"

"It's pretty nuts."

My phone buzzed again. I looked at it and saw that Parker and Jean would arrive late tonight. They'd been able to change the flight they'd booked for Grace's birthday.

"Your mom and dad will get here tonight."

"Good."

And then another contraction hit. After five or six more, Mal felt the need to push, so I pressed the button for the nurse.

The nurse checked and announced it was time. I looked at my watch. It wasn't even 6:00 PM. Dr. Abbott joined us and the bed was transformed for delivery. Mallory was soon pushing.

"Shawn, if you want to watch the baby's birth, you can come help hold Mallory's knees back. You'll have a great view," Dr. Abbott said.

I gave my wife a kiss and took the position as instructed. I held one knee while the nurse held the other. A contraction hit and Mal started to push as the doctor counted to ten. I looked down and saw the head. Holy fuck. My baby's head was right there!