Chapter 33

Shawn

The next time I had my parents babysit Grace and Nolan was New Year's Eve. Brian and Darcy were having a party at her townhouse. It was fairly small, and I knew most of the people in attendance. This time my folks were staying at my place so that Grace and Nolan could watch the fireworks over the city skyline if they happened to stay awake that long. Regardless, it would be nice for my folks to watch after popping the chilled bottle of champagne I'd left for them.

I was sitting on the couch in Darcy's living room drinking a beer when Joanna and Evans found me. I stood up and gave both of them a hug.

"How was your Christmas?" Joanna asked.

"Good. We were at the house. The whole family was there. It was very nice. Similar to the last couple years, though each year gets easier," I said.

Christmas almost felt normal now. There were some tough moments. Jean started crying at one point, but I knew there would always be some tears around the holidays. I did have an awkward discussion with Parker when he asked if I was dating. Why did everyone care so much about that?

"How was your holiday?" I asked.

I'd glanced at Joanna's ring finger when she'd arrived. I thought maybe Evans was going to propose at Christmas. I guess he hadn't.

"It was nice. I have a huge family and there was a lot of craziness," she said.

"How about yours?" I asked Evans.

"My family is pretty chill. We just eat nonstop. I'm going to be at the gym every day this break. You want a drink?" he asked Joanna.

"A beer would be great," she replied to him as she took a seat next to me.

"How are Grace and Nolan? I see them in the halls sometimes and they seem to be doing well."

"They are good. They love school."

Just then, an unfamiliar woman walked in. She was a petite with long honey-blonde hair, attractive in the classic way.

"Hey, Joanna!" she said excitedly when she spotted her.

Joanna stood up and hugged her.

"I'm so glad you were able to make it!" Joanna gushed. She then pulled her to the couch. I scooted over so all three of us could sit down.

"Shawn, this is Brooke. She just moved back to Toronto," Joanna said. "Brooke, maybe you've heard of Shawn Mendes."

I smiled. "Nice to meet you."

This was obviously the woman she wanted to introduce me to. Brooke seemed unfazed by meeting me which meant she knew I'd be here, or she was very cool around famous people. My guess was that Joanna had told her I was coming and had said she wanted us to meet.

Just then Evans returned with a couple beers. I hopped up so he could sit next to his girlfriend.

"If you'll please excuse me," I said politely, "I'm going to go check on my kids."

I then exited the living room and went to the kitchen. I opened the sliding glass door and stepped on the deck to call my mom. We chatted briefly about how the kids were.

As I was about to walk back in the house, Joanna slipped through the door to join me. She immediately started rubbing her arms because it was so cold.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked.

"Not at all."

This wasn't a lie. I couldn't blame my friend for trying. Her intentions were definitely in the right place.