Chapter 37

Shawn

Aaliyah's wedding was on a late Saturday afternoon. My family, plus Brooke, arrived on Friday evening to start setting up.

It was a small wedding because that's what the bride and groom wanted. His parents wanted something bigger, but it wasn't up to them. I'd offered my place because it was private and there was plenty of room. Aaliyah said she wanted to be married by the big pool, and that she'd like the pool filled with floating candles during the reception. That was easy enough to arrange.

We'd reserved two floors at a hotel about 25 minutes away for guests and hired a shuttle to transport people. Only the immediate family would be staying at the house. My parents took the basement suite, I gave Aaliyah the master bedroom, the kids had their rooms, Brooke had the guest room, and I was taking the couch.

The morning of the wedding was a bit frantic. The rental company arrived with tents and chairs. The flower company had arrived extra early to get the large arrangements in place and to put together the vases for the tables. Later, the caterers showed up and took over the kitchen. Finally, Mallory's professional level kitchen was being put to good use.

Brooke was a huge help. She kept an eye on the kids while the rest of us worked to get everything set up. Thankfully the weather cooperated and it was a warm sunny day.

Before long it was time to get ready. Grace was the flower girl and Nolan was the ring bearer. Both were slightly uncomfortable in their fancy clothes, but their excitement overruled their discomfort. I took several pictures of them and wished their mama could see them. She'd be so proud.

Aaliyah and Alec had one attendant each, so I was not in the wedding. That was cool with me. I could sit next to my date and just enjoy the ceremony.

Everyone was dressed and ready as the guests started to arrive. Brooke and I directed people to the patio where the chairs were set up. The seats were set on in one side of the pool and the floral altar was on the other. The pool candles would be lit and put in the water later for the reception. Once people were seated, my dad and mom went upstairs to get the bride.

I felt myself choke up as they walked my beautiful sister out to meet her groom. Aaliyah wore a white gown with capped sleeves and a simple veil attached to a tiara. Alec was waiting for her in a charcoal gray tuxedo. The way they looked at each other made my heart melt.

The ceremony was hard for me. I couldn't help but recall my own wedding day. Even if I had not realized I loved Mallory at that point, our vows were full of promise. As I felt myself choking up, Brooke reached over and squeezed my hand tightly.

When the 'I do's' were said, everyone cheered. Grace and Nolan danced around happily. This brought me out of my memories and back to the present.

The chairs were moved to the tables, which were in the tents on the grass. The patio soon had a bar and appetizer station in place.

"Can I get you a drink?" Brooke asked me.

"Yup, I could use something strong."

She left to take care of that, and I made my way over to my sister.

"I'm so happy for you," I said as I hugged her.

"Thank you," she said in my ear. "I know this isn't easy for you. You're truly the best person I know to throw me this wedding when it has to hurt."

I pulled back. "I'm fine. Really. Your happiness outweighs everything else."

Alec walked over and I hugged him, too. Brooke sidled up next to me and handed me a bourbon.