Chapter 35

Shawn

I decided to take the kids to Virginia for the weekend before what would have been my and Mal's 7th wedding anniversary. I wanted to visit some places that were important to our relationship.

We got to the Everett's house on Friday evening and went out to dinner with them. I'd asked that we go to the diner Mal and I ate at after the first doctor's appointment when I'd visited over Thanksgiving. When we got back to their home, I tucked the kids into Mallory's old bed.

Mal's room wasn't really her room anymore. Jean had packed up almost all of her daughter's personal affects and had them stored away for the children. The bedroom still had her furniture and bedding, but gone were the remnants from her high school and college days. I understood logically why Jean and Parker needed to move on; I'd eventually packed away all of Mal's clothing and personal items. It still saddened me to feel my wife's absence so sharply.

After the kiddos were asleep, I joined Jean and Parker for a nightcap. We sat in their family room, which was full of pictures of my beautiful Mallory, and talked about what was new in our lives. I chose not to mention that I was dating Brooke. I knew they'd be fine with it, but it was way too soon to make that sort of announcement. If things got serious, I'd tell them.

I was staying in the basement, just as I had many years ago. After our drink, I made my way down there and got undressed. I lay prostrate on the guest bed and stared at the ceiling. I was thinking about Mallory and missing her terribly when I heard my phone buzz on the side table.

Brooke: did you make it to Virginia safely?

Shit. I'd told her I'd text her.

Me: yes...sorry

Me: busy with the in-laws

She didn't respond right away. Was I wrong to call Parker and Jean my in-laws? Were they something else now? Ex-in-laws? That sounded terrible.

Brooke: have a nice visit

Me: I'll see you thursday, yes?

Brooke and I tended to go out on Thursday nights. After school on Fridays, the kids and I would drive to the house in the woods where we'd stay until Sunday night. This made dating on the weekend impossible. Occasionally we'd stay in Toronto, but that was pretty rare.

Brooke: looking forward to it ❤️

I stared at the heart emoji. I wasn't really sure how I felt about that, so I closed my phone and tried to fall asleep. I struggled for hours before fatigue finally took over my anxious mind.

The next day, I borrowed Jean's car and drove to Charlottesville with the kids. I found the location of the fateful festival and parked as close as possible. It was hard to sort out where the tents and booths had been set up, but eventually I got my bearings and figured it out. As we walked I told the kids a very clean and abbreviated version of how I met their mama. I did not mention that Grace was conceived that night. Not that they'd understand anyway.

We walked to where the stage had been set up. I tried to remember my set list from that performance, but I couldn't. So many of my concerts were a big blur at this point. Even if I couldn't remember what I sang, I did remember looking over and seeing Mallory in the VIP section. God she'd looked gorgeous.

We left campus and drove by the hotel.

"This is where I stayed the night I met your mama. I also stayed here when I came to visit when she was pregnant with you, Gracie."

"Why weren't you living together? Don't married people live in the same place?" Grace asked.

"We weren't married for a lot of your pregnancy. Your mama had to finish school. I was busy with my music."