Chapter 73

Joanna

I opened my eyes and found myself in an unfamiliar place. I knew I was in the hospital, but I wasn't in my room. I was on a hospital bed and there were curtains drawn around me. I was hooked up to pulse and blood pressure monitors.

"Where's my baby?" I asked, though no one was with me to hear the question.

Not having Stella near me sent me into a state of panic. I could hear the beeping of my heart rate monitor increase as I located the button to page a nurse.

Less than a minute later, a nurse pushed the curtain aside and smiled at me. "You're awake! Let me check your vitals and maybe we can get you back up to your room soon. Your husband went to check on your baby. He's a sweetheart, that one. Cute, too."

"What happened?" I asked. I only remembered feeling ill and a horrible gushing between my legs.

"I'll let Dr. Abbott explain. She should be here to check on you soon."

A few minutes later, the curtains opened again. I was expecting Dr. Abbott, but it was Shawn. He looked horribly exhausted, but he forced a smile.

"Hi, hun," he said as he hurried next to me, kissing me softly on the lips. "How do you feel?"

"Confused," I said honestly. "Where's Stella?"

"She's in your hospital room and was sleeping when I checked on her. Your parents are with her. My parents are still at home with Gracie and Nolan."

"What happened?" I asked again, hoping I'd get an answer this time.

Just then, Dr. Abbott joined us.

"Hi, Joanna. You woke up quickly from your anesthesia. That's good," she said before she looked at the monitors to my left.

"Can someone please tell me what's going on?" I demanded, my eyes brimming with tears.

Shawn took hold of my hand as Dr. Abbott started talking.

"You started hemorrhaging last night. The doctor on call in obstetrics determined that the area where the placenta had been attached to your uterus had broken open and the uterine artery had burst. You were unconscious and losing a lot of blood. This caused your blood pressure to drop dangerously low. I showed up during your surgery to assist the doctor, and I'm confident he made the right call."

I looked from Dr. Abbott to Shawn. "What was the call?"

Shawn looked down at the floor. I was pretty sure I knew the answer, and I was dreading hearing it.

"You had a partial hysterectomy. Your uterus was removed, though your ovaries were left intact so that your hormones will not be impacted," Dr. Abbott explained.

"No!" I cried out.

Dr. Abbott gave me a sympathetic look. "I understand how distressing this is. I'm very sorry, but it's good it happened in the hospital and not at home. You could have bled to death."

I shook my head, not wanting to listen to any of this. I looked up at Shawn and saw the tears on his cheeks. This ruined our plan for another child.

"In a little bit we'll talk about the hysterectomy recovery process. Right now I'm going to see about getting you moved back to your room so that you can be reunited with your baby," Dr. Abbott said before she stepped out of my curtained room.

"I'm sorry," I said to my husband, my voice barely above a whisper.

Shawn gulped and squatted down so his face was on level with mine. "There's nothing to be sorry for. You're fine and that's all that matters to me."