Chapter 72

Shawn

Joanna was sulking on the couch, and I was trying to cheer her up, though nothing I said seemed to work. Not even the foot rub I was giving her helped.

"It's April. How is it April and we don't have our baby yet?" she whined.

Our (not so) little bean was five days overdue and her mama was beyond frustrated at this point. She was cranky and uncomfortable and so eager to meet our daughter. I was dying to meet her, too, but one of us had to remain patient.

"Dr. Abbott said she won't let you go more than ten days past your due date. If you don't go into labor, at least we know you'll be induced in five days. That's not very far off."

She glared at me.

"I know it feels like a long time, hun. And I know you are not loving pregnancy at nine months, but the baby is coming. She won't stay up there forever," I assured her.

"I just want to hold her," she said softly.

"We could have sex," I suggested.

We'd been told by both the nurse and Dr. Abbott that a hormone in my ejaculate could stimulate labor, as could her having an orgasm. We'd been having sex once a day because of this, though it wasn't very enjoyable for Jo. I still liked it, though.

She sighed. "Okay. I guess we could, but I don't think you really want to."

"Let me try this again," I said with a grin. "Baby, I want you so bad. Sooooo bad. I'm gonna take you back to our bedroom and give it to you so good."

She laughed. "You want me so bad? You're going to give it to me so good? Really?"

"I mean it."

"Liar," she said.

"I'd never lie. And I'm happy to show you just how much I want you," I said as I stood up.

I grabbed her hands and pulled her off the couch, since she had trouble getting up on her own. Joanna started down the hall to the bedroom, and I followed behind, smiling at how she was waddling. I was married to a duck.

After helping Joanna take off her maternity dress and leggings, I started to remove my own clothes.

Jo eyed my body and grinned. "Okay. Maybe you weren't lying."

She laid down on her side and I joined her. This was the only way we could do it. I was starting to really get into things when I felt a very strange sensation. Suddenly, the bed was soaked.

"What the hell?" I said as I moved apart from her.

"I think my water just broke!" Joanna exclaimed, as she tried to sit up.

It definitely broke. All over me.

"Holy shit! Having sex actually worked!" I said once it hit me that the baby was coming.

We got out of bed and I stripped the sheets and mattress cover before it soaked through. I tossed them in the bathroom to be dealt with later. Joanna called the doctor while I called my parents. It was mid-morning, so my folks had plenty of time to get to the city to pick the kids up after school. I also asked my mom to wash the bedding for us. Joanna's parents were called next. They were meeting us at the hospital.

By the time she got admitted to a labor and delivery room, Joanna's contractions were intense. After hours of labor, we learned that despite the intensity, they were not particularly effective. She'd only progressed a couple of centimeters. This was nuts considering how much pain they caused her.