Chapter 38

Shawn

"The wedding sounds like it was beautiful," Joanna said.

She'd come over for coffee. School was out so she had the summer off and tons of free time. Grace and Nolan no longer thought anything of the fact that we were friends so it was totally comfortable hanging out together.

"It was amazing. I'm so happy for Aaliyah and Alec," I said as I pulled some blueberry muffins out of the oven.

"How are things with Brooke?"

I shrugged. "The same. I'm surprised she hasn't given up on me."

I looked over at the kids who were playing in the living room. "Let's go out on the balcony."

We took our coffees outside and sat down.

"Brooke seems pretty invested," Joanna said. "I don't think she's going to give up."

"Maybe she should, for her own sake. There's something wrong with me. I'm a healthy young guy with normal urges. She's gorgeous and I like her. Why the hell can't I take things further?"

"Something's holding you back, obviously. You need to figure out what it is."

"I guess I could see my therapist again," I said resignedly.

"It couldn't hurt. Things are progressing slowly, right? Maybe you just need time."

I got up and went inside to get us each one of the slightly cooled muffins. I put two out for Grace and Nolan and told them they could have them.

"Enough about me. How's living together? Are you and Evans settled into the new place?" I asked as I sat back down.

Joanna and Evans had moved into an apartment not far from my condo. It was a cute one bedroom place with a great view. I would have helped them move, but they'd done it over the weekend of the wedding.

"It's good! We were already spending most nights together, so it's not that different. I'm still dealing with shit from my mom," she said before taking a bite of the muffin. "Oh my god this is good. You have some talent!"

"You should taste my blueberry pancakes," I said proudly. I stopped myself from saying that they were Mallory's favorite. That was progress, right?

"Do you cook for Brooke?" she asked after practically inhaling the muffin.

"No. We usually go out. It's still kind of weird with the kids so we don't do things here."

"That's a mistake. If you two are getting more serious, then you need to bring her into your family and let them get to know her. Maybe their acceptance would help with the other stuff."

"How did we get back on this subject?" I asked with a laugh. "So your mom is still mad?"

"Back to me, huh? Okay, Shawn. You win," she said with a smile. "She's mad that we're living together without at least being engaged. She thinks he'll never marry me if he's already got me. She's kind of old fashioned that way."

"Do you guys ever talk about getting married?" I asked.

"Not really. I once brought up kids and he shut that down fast. I don't think he's ready for that stuff yet."

"He loves kids, though. My two think he's the greatest. At least you guys have plenty of time."

A sad looked passed over my friend's face. "I know we have time, but I'd like to start a family sooner rather than later. Two of my college friends just had babies and now I've got baby fever."