Chapter 13

~Serafina~

Since Des and everyone else told me I can't use my magic I called upon Neela. I knew she was the next best option for what I needed.

Neela was in the middle of a convoca with the others. I wanted them to meet me in Matali since I was not able to leave just yet, and there was no way I was leaving Mahdi.

"She's fine! She's on bed rest, and can't use her magic! That's why I'm telling you these things!" Neela yells.

I knew it was Becca who was arguing with Neela. Becca has been very touchy lately. She isn't able to live on land with the duca, and the duca can't live underwater with her. It's been hard on her, and we respect it. But there comes a time when Becca needs to realize that things aren't always going to circle around her problems.

Lucia wasn't our problem when we started, but after everything we went through she became our problem. Now it was up to all six of us to find her. The only problem is, we only have five present, and four with powers.

"We have no idea where Astrid is Becca! Sera wants you guys to come to Matali so we can find Astrid, and find Lucia so we can end this war!" Neela says louder. After some more silence I hear, "Good. We'll see you all soon. Be careful."

Neela comes out of the convoca.

"Becca?" I ask.

"You have no idea. She wasn't taking me seriously because I was giving orders to her that came from you. She was only going to take orders from you. The more I argued telling her what had happened with you, the more she called out that I was a liar," Neela says slumping into a chair on the side of my hospital bed.

"What about the others?"

"Ava, and Ling said they'll try and get here soon as possible. That'll take a few days, but they'll be here. Becca won't come until the other two are here. She'll most likely take the long way. Like I get it you can't be with your boyfriend, but you don't have to take it out on us."

"I know she's been a pain, but please don't say that to her face. She'll only lash out more on us."

Neela sighs. We sit in silence for a while until a doctor swims in at a brisk pace. I sit up quickly causing my head to spin. Closing my eyes I wait for it to pass which it does. Opening my eyes the doctor begins.

"Regina Serafina, you have been called to Emperor Mahdi's room right away," she says.

My mind immediately goes to the worst possible situation. Mahdi is dead. I can't think about it. I don't want to think about it.

Neela helps me move from the bed to his room. To my surprise Mahdi is sitting up somewhat, and his eyes are open. A wide smile comes to my face when I see him awake, and alive. Neela lets go of me, and I swim to his bedside.

"Mahdi?" I ask.

"Sera," he says.

My smile becomes wider, and there's one on his face too. I lean over the bed and kiss him. He lets go and grabs my hand. When he touches my broken wrist I wince a little in pain.

"What happened?" Mahdi asks looking at my wrist.

"Neela and I were attacked on our way here. Neela has only minor injuries. While I suffered a concussion, and a broken wrist. I'm on bed rest, and no magic," I explain.

"If you're on bed rest then why are you here?"

"I'm only on bed rest if no one is around to escort me anywhere." He gives a small laugh. "So what about you? What happened to you?"

"Lucia. We were attacked. I hope Yazeed got away, while Lucia took me. I was in one of her camps outside of Matali when Des and Astrid came. The last thing I remember was Lucia stabbing me, and seeing Des."

"I'm so sorry that this had to happen to you."

He sighs. "There's nothing you could've done. No one knew it was coming. It should have been us being more careful."

"I guess. I'm glad you're safe now. I'm not allowing you to leave until the doctor clears you, and you're up for the journey back. That'll give you time to rule here. I'm going to stay here until we track down Lucia. She took Astrid."

"What?"

"Lucia. She took Astrid. Des has been torn up about it."

Sadness plays across his face. We both know that there's nothing we can do about this mess until we find Astrid. Because once we find Astrid, we find Lucia.