Chapter 20

~Mahdi~~Two Months Later~

It was official. Sera was with child, and Des and Astrid were getting married. Only few people know about Sera. The less the better until we find Lucia. Riots haven't died down one bit. Sera was hoping that Des and Astrid's wedding would help calm the masses.

Sera and I were sitting next to each other watching the ceremony. We were keeping it small which was probably a good thing. The ceremony was finishing, and everyone seemed happy. Des and Astrid kissed, and everyone applauded. The two left the alter, and began to leave. That's when chaos broke lose.

The walls of the church burst apart. I quickly covered Sera with my arms to block any debris from hitting her.  When I was sure it was clear I quickly uncovered her, and pulled her out of the seat.

"We need to get to the palace," she shouts over the screaming.

I nod, and we begin to leave the church. Astrid and Des are in the aisle. Des has his weapon raised ready for a fight.

"Sera, Mahdi, Astrid, you guys need to get out of here!" Des shouts at us.

"No! I'm not leaving you!" Astrid shouts back.

I watch as Des passionately kisses her. When they break he looks at me, "Take her," he says.

I nod, and Sera grabs her arm. "Be careful," Sera tells her brother before leaving the church.

The scene outside of the church is worse. Bodies are strewn across the floor. I find Neela in a corner. She looks unharmed. I grab her arm and pull her up. When she finds it's me she begins to swim after us.

"Sera what's happening?" Neela asks.

"I don't know," Sera replies calmly.

We swim through the church, and outside. Chaos is everywhere. It was clear who was fighting who. I look as Sera. She shares the same look. If we swim through it, there is a high chance we won't make it. If we don't we're trapped. Sera looks up. Over the church is an option.

She takes off, and we follow her. It's a long way back, but going around was the only option. Then a speargun was shot, and buried itself in Sera's tail. She let out a scream. A blast of light came as Neela used her light to cut the wire. I pull on Sera's arm to keep her moving.

We get over the church, and out of the line of fire. We duck through allies, and abandoned homes in an attempt to make it around the fighting. We did, but the palace was still a long way off. We ducked into an abandoned house out of breath. Sera was clutching her stomach.

"Is everything okay? Are you alright?" I ask swimming up to her.

She nodded. "I'm just not used to carrying this much," she said. The pear was still sticking out of her tail.

"Here sit down. We need to get that spear out of you." We sit her down on the ground and I look at her tail. It was right where a spear had hit her tail a few years ago. "It's going to hurt."

She nods. I break the wood of the spear, and set aside the part that was not embedded into her skin. She closed her eyes, and held Neela and Astrid's hands tight. I quickly pulled the spear out of her skin, and she let out a yelp of pain.

Astrid tore a piece of her dress off, and I wrapped it around the wound. "We'll get it cleaned better when we get back to the palace," I said.

I helped Sera sit up, and watched her. "We need to get going," Astrid said.

"Can you swim?"

Sera nodded and stood up. Pulling her out of the home we continued to swim to the palace. Making it there without any struggles. Sera gets rushed off to the infirmary, and I follow.

~~~

Hours later Sera was asleep. I was sitting next to her, making sure nothing happened. The child was safe, and Sera's tail bandaged, and now all we had to do was wait.