Chapter 15

~Lucia~

It had been almost a full day, and my spy hasn't reported back in. I knew I shouldn't have put her up to the task of killing Serafina's brother. I just know she was captured trying to kill him. I must've underestimated him. He's stronger than I thought.

But with me being so close to breaking Astrid, I couldn't think of the failure of one of my fighters. She was expendable anyway.

Last night I had broken one layer of the rock that is Astrid Kolfinnstidor. Now it was up to the others to break her. Thanks to another spy in the palace I have word that Sera has contacted her friends, and that they are all coming to the Matalian palace. Sera had done the work for me, and all I had to do was find a way to get them picked off one by one.

The blind one lived in the Amazon River. My fighters wouldn't be able to get to her soon enough. I would have to send a dozen to the mouth of the river to catch her before she exits the river. The one who can talk to animals was captured by Orfeo. Her name was Ling or something. She didn't live far from Matali. In Qin. But Qin is too vast to search for her. Even if I did have her home pinned on my map, there were so many ways she could go to get to Matali. She will have to be the one who got away. At least until she made it to Matali. Becca was easy. She'd take the same route I did when I came to Matali. We'd be waiting for her.

Neela and Sera are already in the palace. Practically untouchable. That is until none of their friends show up.

A knock comes at my door. Swimming to open it I find Hena.

"I have an update on the prisoner," Hena states plainly.

"On with it," I say in frustration.

"She is refusing all forms of food, and drink. She isn't talking, and only murmuring. If you want a chance to break her, it's soon."

My plan was working. Not in the way I hoped, but it was working.

"Good. Assemble the troops. Tell them to meet downstairs in no later than five minutes. Late comers will be punished. I have a plan, and I need everyone to hear it," I command.

"Yes ma'am. Right away."

Hena swims off to fulfill my command. In the mean time I needed to clean myself up to be presentable. No one wants to follow a leader that can't even take care of herself. Closing the door I begin to get ready.

I change, and redo my hair. I pull on a jacket. It was my fathers'. He gave it to me before he was caught, and told me to go. It's the last, and only thing I have from him. I had it altered so that It would fit me right. Wearing it means everything. It also shows the troops who I am, and what I can do. Just like my father before me.

Swimming out of the room, I made my way downstairs. The basement of the safe house was big. It holds all of the two hundred troops stationed here
for when I need to tell them orders, and sleeps them in a different part of the basement.

Almost all of the troops where there. A few were still swimming in. They weren't late yet, because the doors hadn't closed yet signaling the five minutes. I swim to the top of a small stage so everyone could see me. The doors slam shut, and I begin.

"Thank you all for joining me here today on such a short notice. I now have a plan to take down Serafina, her friends, and reclaim the throne of both Miromara, and Matali!" I shout. A few cheers rise up. But I silence them with my hand. "This plan is big, and will require everyone to help. First is to capture the six descendants. I have word that Serafina has sent for their help. Now it is up to us to stop them from reaching Matali. First is a merl from the Amazon River. She is blind, and can use that to her advantage. I had originally planned for a dozen troops. Now I want two dozen troops. General Littles, and General Pham, I want both of your troops stationed at the mouth of the river. Take any mermaid prisoner that enter or exit the river. There is only one way in, and one way out."

"Yes ma'am," the generals say in unison. They each had a dozen troops. Two of the smallest groups there is.

"Our next girl is Ling. She lives in Qin. I know where her house is. I want General Beut's troops to head to her home. If you run into Ling take her prisoner, and bring her here. If not go to her house, and question her family. Use any means necessary to get out which direction she went, and what course she took."

General Beut nods. His group is just over a dozen troops.

"Becca will be easy. I want my smallest squad stationed in the path that I took from Miromara to Matali. We have Astrid, and Serafina, and Neela are untouchable. I still have yet to find a way to draw them out. Hopefully this plan will be enough. You take the girls prisoners, and bring them back here alive. Generals gather rations, you leave immediately. Trips that did not receive an order are to stay on standby. Dismissed!"

The troops scatter to their new assignments. Hopefully this plan will work.

I swim with Hena back to my room. On our way back I notice the cell door is open. I look in to find it empty. Astrid had escaped. She used my meeting as her distraction. Swimming inside I find a piece of kelp. Written on it is this;

I told you. You can't break me. But I can break you.

"What do we do?" Hena asks.

"Nothing. This is but a kink in our plan. She's probably in the safety of the gates, and probably the palace. She's untouchable. Our plan still stands. Now we'll just have to work harder to draw Sera, Neela, and now Astrid out."