03 | ωнαт nσω

Whatever it is
It feels like it's laughing at me
Through the glass of a two-sided mirror

Chapter 03 ~ What Now

Ryan Rivera

I was pretty sure that my parents were angry—for what reason, I had no idea.

All I knew was that family dinner that Sunday night was a complete struggle to get through. Jamie and Scar sat at opposite sides of the table, as they always did, while the rest of us were squeezed between them. Bryan was seated next to me, and Kahori across from me, but no one was saying anything.

It wasn't normally like this. Normally, our parents would ask about our week. They would ask how Bryan was doing at football, or how far along Kahori was with the process of making friends. They never really asked about me because I didn't get involved in much. Most of my involvement in school started and ended with what went on in the classrooms, and hell, I wasn't even half good at that. So when our usually-eventful-end-of-the-week get-together was plagued with a deafening silence that only allowed for the sound of silverware clanking against plates, I wanted to know what was up.

"Is there a reason why everyone is so quiet?" I asked to break the silence, but as soon as the words left my mouth, my brother nudged me in the rib cage. Even Kahori shot me a pleading look that told me that I shouldn't have said anything.

I looked to my parents for an explanation, watching as the two of them exchanged looks with each other. Jamie's gaze was trained on his husband, his jaw clenched tightly. Scar responded by shaking his head violently, but when Jamie's intense stare didn't let up, he let go of a bottled sigh and flicked his turquoise eyes to me.

"We heard about the party," Scar said. My jaw fell open as I looked to Bryan for confirmation, but he did everything else but meet my gaze.

The events of the the party were a bit of a blur to me because Bobby had convinced me to get high with him and do a bunch of other stupid things. The only thing that I could vividly remember was being disgusted at the thought of a foursome with Bobby. A twosome with Bobby would be much more of an appealing thought, but to save face, I had to make out with a girl that I had no sexual attraction to whatsoever.

But high or not, Bobby would've never let me get caught. 

"We also know that you took our alcohol—the alcohol that you are forbidden to touch without our permission—to this party. You supplied our alcohol to a bunch of a teenagers at a party that could've easily gone out of hand and been shut down by the cops."

I glanced over to Bryan whose head was hung low, refusing to meet our parents' gaze. Sighing, I slumped in my seat. "How'd you guys know?"

Jamie folded his arms over his chest and stared me down. "Well for one, I tried to pour myself a glass of some hard liquor, and it turned out to just be water. And second, the cameras gave you away."

"Cameras?" My eyes roamed the dining room frantically. "What cameras? We have cameras? Since when did we have cameras?"

"Since two days ago," Jamie answered defiantly like he didn't see anything wrong with having cameras in the house like we were all a bunch of prisoners.

"Why do we need cameras!"

"For times like these when you outwardly misbehave and we have to find a punishment for you."