16 | ℓσѕт ιn ραrα∂ιѕє

In love, we all will fall but
We fell a little harder

Chapter 16 ~ Lost in Paradise

Ryan Rivera

It was pizza night in the Myers-Patterson household and by family tradition, that meant it was also game night.

"You can't do that!" Bryan's voice could be heard above all the side chatter and the soft sounds radiating from the bluetooth speaker. His eyes were wide in something resembling terror as he picked up a card from the deck and threw it at Scar, missing by just an inch.

"What do you mean?" Scar picked up the card and threw it back at my twin, but he didn't miss. "It's a draw two!"

"You can't put a draw two on top of a draw four!" Bryan was livid. Between him and Scar, I couldn't tell who was more competitive. We could never really get through a game night without an argument between them, so it was considered tradition at this point. The rest of us really couldn't be bothered about the actual rules of Uno, considering how Kahori had taken advantage of the brief pause to open up her book again and Jamie had rolled his eyes in annoyance and reached for another slice of pizza.

"Two draw twos are equal to one draw four," Scar persisted.

"No!" Bryan shouted, exposing the veins in his neck. "Oh my god, fuck this! I don't want to play anymore." He threw his hand into the middle of the circle we had created and slumped backward onto the bean bag, fully intending on tuning all of us out.

Scar found his behavior particularly funny because it meant that he was going to win the game. "Don't know why you raised such a pussy son," he commented towards Jamie, loud enough for everyone to hear and loud enough for Bryan to shoot up in his seat to object.

"Dad!" he cried.

Scar raised a brow. "What? You ready to play now?" Bryan responded by rushing to collect all the cards he had thrown into the center and scowled as he regained his composure.

The game resumed as normal with everyone laying down their cards and smiles stretching across their faces like they didn't have a single worry in the world. I, on the other hand, had to pretend like I was having the time of my life when all I really wanted to do was run to my room, curl up under the sheets, and cry.

This was such a revelation to me because I rarely cried. I handled my emotions by cursing, yelling, shutting everyone out, or by pretending like they didn't exist. Crying was rarely ever on my list of go-to methods of expressing my sadness, but for some odd reason, I felt like crying.

It wasn't lost on me that seeing Bobby earlier today was the reason behind my sudden need to cry. For these past couple weeks, Bobby had given me the impression that he was doing just fine without me; after all, he had gotten back with Liza and had refused to talk to me in the hallways and in class.

It was only when he hugged me today in the school's parking lot that I knew, truly knew, that he had missed me just as much as I missed him. I felt it in the way his arms snaked around me and in the way he didn't want to ever let go. He had counted the time we spent apart which, of all things that Bobby could have done, was the cutest thing ever.

It was like spending time apart from Bobby had done absolutely nothing but make me love him more.

Damn, these emotions were really a piece of work.